LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Jockeys Boxenstop experts needed S3

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Jockeys Boxenstop experts needed S3

Postby Lord-Spanner » Mon May 22, 2023 4:58 pm

Hiya folks,

Full battery 12v DC system
Key ignition in place of kill switch
MB head temp/rev counter
Variotronic ignition
Oiltek fuel tank with gauge mounted on the legshields
BGM led rear light

I'm in the process of wiring up my S3 LI150 lambie with above ancillaries (Birmingham's spaghetti junction springs to mind) the back end is ok but the front is blowing my mind (never liked wiring and still don't), but on to the question................Am I better or do you have to use the connector block that holds the bulb in with all the connectors on it?? I'm only guessing that you do, other wise the head set would have some other kind of connection box floating around in the head set which wouldn't be ideal with a battery, hopefully I've answered my own question :roll: but any help would be appreciated :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lord-Spanner

Re: Jockeys Boxenstop experts needed S3

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue May 23, 2023 1:01 am

Presumably you have the JB headlight with the H4 bulb holder?
If so, with these, you have to use the bulb holder that comes with it and junk the lambretta bulb holder/ bullet connector junction block.
Instead, you can use the old rubber covered multipole bullet connector sockets that were common on 60's British bikes to connect up the wiring, but these are not very reliable.
I prefer to cut off these draconian bullet connectors and replace then with bootlace ferrule ends. I have a selection of 1,2 and 3 pole cage clamp connectors (wago) that I use to connect the wires up in the headset. These wago's apply a constant spring pressure against the ferrule which virtually eliminates bad connection issues.
I then use 3M velcro to secure the connectors to the inside of the headset bottom. When servicing, These connectors can quickly and simply be prized off the base with a screwdriver.
I don't recommend using a halogen bulb that is more than 35watts with these JB headlamps. the bigger bulbs do burn/distort the plastic reflector.
Alternatively, because your steed is a battery model, you could consider using an approved high power LED H4 dipper bulb which will give better light with much less heat.
Fast n Furious

Postby Lord-Spanner » Tue May 23, 2023 9:45 am

ooooops forgot to mention that I've got the JB H4 headlight :lol: Thanks for your help FnF ordered suggested parts and led blubs, big amazon order coming tomorrow :mrgreen:
Lord-Spanner

Postby Lord-Spanner » Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:46 am

Fast n Furious wrote:Presumably you have the JB headlight with the H4 bulb holder?
If so, with these, you have to use the bulb holder that comes with it and junk the lambretta bulb holder/ bullet connector junction block.
Instead, you can use the old rubber covered multipole bullet connector sockets that were common on 60's British bikes to connect up the wiring, but these are not very reliable.
I prefer to cut off these draconian bullet connectors and replace then with bootlace ferrule ends. I have a selection of 1,2 and 3 pole cage clamp connectors (wago) that I use to connect the wires up in the headset. These wago's apply a constant spring pressure against the ferrule which virtually eliminates bad connection issues.
I then use 3M velcro to secure the connectors to the inside of the headset bottom. When servicing, These connectors can quickly and simply be prized off the base with a screwdriver.
I don't recommend using a halogen bulb that is more than 35watts with these JB headlamps. the bigger bulbs do burn/distort the plastic reflector.
Alternatively, because your steed is a battery model, you could consider using an approved high power LED H4 dipper bulb which will give better light with much less heat.

Thanks for telling me about those connectors, with the crimps and connectors they make for a nice neat and tidy job, and like you say nice and tight so they won't come loose unlike bullet connecters which can do :mrgreen:
Lord-Spanner

Postby Micky67keane » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:29 pm

Love Wagos,they're the Way to go :D
Micky67keane

Postby Afandy » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:06 pm

You need to try the Led one from Cambridge before you swop ……..so much better IMHO
Afandy

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:37 pm

It's important to rememeber that it's the bulb holder in the reflector and not the bulb that governs whether a headlight bulb dips toward the left or right.
So, if your headlamp was originally destined for continental use, an "off the shelf" Ba20d or H4 dip beam headlamp bulb will deflect toward on coming traffic in the UK.

The clever chaps at dynamoregulatorconversions.com have a range of "CDRC double dipper pro" LED bulbs.

1. These are adjustable with an Allen key to set the dip beam offset angle. So it doesn't matter if your bulb holder is a continental one and..... the "offset" can be readily adjusted, to suit, should you find yourself riding abroad on occassion. (Non of that stick-on deflector malarkey required anymore)
2. These bulbs are an "Angel eye" projection design. The state of your headlamp reflector becomes almost irrelavent with these bulbs.
3. Works on either positive or negative earth DC.
4. Works on 6V DC also.

A quality product that's well worth the money IMO.
Fast n Furious

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3