LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Front damper top mounting bolts

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Front damper top mounting bolts

Postby Littlewheels » Mon May 29, 2023 7:22 pm

Can anyone tell me the size of the front damper top bolts?
Dia + length and were there nylocs fitted. Also anyone know if they were a shouldered bolt or threaded across the whole length?
Where can I buy standard zinc plated ones?
Thanks
Littlewheels

Re: Front damper top mounting bolts

Postby hullygully » Tue May 30, 2023 10:30 am

M6 bud, always use nylocs with nut on outside c/w 2 x flat washers, use either bolt or setscrew, 30mm should do you in length, go to a local bolt stockist, they'll give you a slack hand full 8-)
hullygully

Postby Littlewheels » Tue May 30, 2023 4:04 pm

Thanks matey.
Littlewheels

Postby Littlewheels » Wed May 31, 2023 6:45 pm

Just had another look at this ;)
If I fit penny washers to the bottom damper mount then won't that compromise the ability of the bottom rubber bush doing its job? Because the washer contacts the metal outer part of the damper then it will stop the bush absorbing energy as well as it should? And because of the thickness of this washer then the nut and stud will only tighten to the outside of the washer so that the inner 'tube' will be able to move along the the length of the stud albeit by a tiny amount unless of course the washer becomes concave. Surely the idea is for the rubber bush to absorb the up & down energy not penny washers clamped against the bush housing? Have I got this wrong? Does anyone know the factory fitment is?
:?:
Littlewheels

Postby citydaz » Wed May 31, 2023 9:00 pm

I fitted a rubber washer, the type for the legshields, to the btm mount, then put a penny washer next to it, then a nylok nut.
citydaz

Postby nickw » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:13 pm

I started fitting penny washers to the front shocks after the scooter failed it's MOT and that had been one of the reasons for the failure.
nickw

Postby hullygully » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:34 pm

forget the factory fitments bud, some of the bottom bushes try a bid for freedom from these sh*te dampers we use :o , so the penny washers keep everything in place 8-)
hullygully

Postby citydaz » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:47 pm

hullygully wrote:forget the factory fitments bud, some of the bottom bushes try a bid for freedom from these sh*te dampers we use :o , so the penny washers keep everything in place 8-)

+1
citydaz

Postby Littlewheels » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:30 pm

I understand what you're saying but the bushes should stay where they're meant to be.

Anyroad more problems........

Decided to splash out on some Casa front dampers which as you know are quite expensive. I bought them partly to make up a minimum order amount from Scooter Center otherwise I would have prob gone for Scootopia ones.

I unpacked one and tried it on some NOS damper studs newly acquired from Swiss Tony. The stud measures 6mm whereas the hole in the Casa damper bush measures 6.41mm? Ive emailed them explaining the problem so be interesting to see what they say.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Littlewheels

Postby hullygully » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:53 am

I think you're looking too far into it bud, its just a clearance hole not a tight fit 8-)
hullygully

Postby Littlewheels » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:02 pm

Yes, My thinking is if there's movement between damper & stud then this will encourage more movement over time so minimal clearance is better than too much.

Anyroad it is what is is and yes I am probably over thinking things :geek:

Thanks for replies btw
Littlewheels

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3