LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Front end rolling

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Front end rolling

Postby mark65 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:00 am

Had a series 2 restored a couple of years ago, and for various reason have not had the opportunity to ride it much.

Took it out last weekend and noticed that when I went over 40/45 mph the front end was 'rolling' from side to side. Looking back at various threads on here I found one that mentioned the same issue, which was a loose rear hub nut. I've noticed that my locking washer isn't tight against the hub although the bolt holding it in place, is. My question is can I check the how tight the nut is with the wheel in place, and with someone pressing on the back brake to stop the hub moving.

Thanks
mark65

Re: Front end rolling

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:18 am

The locking washer is there to stop the hub nut coming loose so not being tight up against the hub shouldn't make many difference so long as the grub screw is securely in place.
As for checking the tightness of the hub nut, make a securing rig using some old rims and a piece of angle iron. That way you don't need a third party on the brake. Use a torque wrench and torque it up as per Stickies book. Always us loctite on the grub screw. The locking rings with three grub screws are even better. Never loosen the hub to make the locking ring line up with the holes.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby mark65 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:23 am

Thanks Rich,

I don't have any old rims or anywhere to make an holding tool, hence my question about checking how tight the nut was by someone pressing down on the rear brake.

Thanks
mark65

Postby hullygully » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:19 pm

have you checked your front end bud?
all nuts tight?
correct tyre pressure?
put some chocks under the stand feet to lift front wheel off the ground
spin the the front wheel & check if front tyre, rims, hub spin concentric :shock:
hullygully

Postby Toddy » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:15 pm

I would check the forks have they been over tightened I’ve had that before
Toddy

Postby hullygully » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:22 am

whilst its on the chocks the headset should move either left or right if touched lightly :?
hullygully

Postby mark65 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:36 am

hullygully wrote:whilst its on the chocks the headset should move either left or right if touched lightly :?

Thanks for the advice, checked this and my headset doesn't move left or right if touched lightly, you need a bit more 'force' particularly when moving the headset to the right. Also when it moves to the left you can hear a knocking type of sound. Does this suggest the fork are over tighten?

I did make a video of this but don't know how to upload to the site.
mark65

Postby Toddy » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:44 am

mark65 wrote:
hullygully wrote:whilst its on the chocks the headset should move either left or right if touched lightly :?

Thanks for the advice, checked this and my headset doesn't move left or right if touched lightly, you need a bit more 'force' particularly when moving the headset to the right. Also when it moves to the left you can hear a knocking type of sound. Does this suggest the fork are over tighten?

I did make a video of this but don't know how to upload to the site.

That’s what it sounds like to me by your description, do you have any fork spanner’s to adjust them ?
Toddy

Postby mark65 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:41 am

Thanks again for the advice

No don't have any fork spanners, thinking of having the gearbox changed so will be getting professional help with this, so I'll get them to do the forks as well whilst it's there.
mark65

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3