LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Disc brake assembly

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Disc brake assembly

Postby Littlewheels » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:54 pm

I've reassembled my series 3 disc brake and now ready to offer up to the links.

I see from the parts book that there are washers that fit into the recess of the links but no washers directly behind where the axle nut butts up against the link and the same the other end of the axle where the link comes up against the body of the casting. Also no washer behind the stud where again the link just butts up against the casting.

Question is does anyone recommend adding thin washers in these 3 places to help protect the surfaces?

Thanks
Littlewheels

Re: Disc brake assembly

Postby hullygully » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:22 am

nope, they're fine bud
hullygully

Postby Littlewheels » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:32 pm

OK so I fitted the hub but the new nuts I bought are not deep enough to reach the washers! Anyone else got this problem? Cleaned out the old ones and used those for now til I can get something that will fit properly.

Where can I buy ones that will fit?

Also the ferrule that holds the end of the brake cable sticks out and I wonder if it is too long?

Any help much appreciated.
Littlewheels

Postby AlG » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:41 am

I feel for you...
Some of the remade disc axle shafts are a bit long (by about 6mm) and the threads (especially stainless) are a bit coarse and oversize - sometimes worth running a die down the thread.
As you have found out, many of the cheaper nuts aren't deep enough, especially with the longer axle shafts, and again if stainless, can often be tight.
Definitely worth buying from a reputable dealer.
AlG

Postby dickie » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:53 pm

I recall when I built a remade disc a few years ago that I needed MB stainless nuts to get deep enough. You could of course, cut the axle by a few mm as already stated.

Again, as already mentioned, the threads were very badly cut on mine, so I had to run a die down them.
dickie

Postby Littlewheels » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:26 pm

No, it’s not the axle as it’s original. The old nylocs fit fine. Just want to know where I can buy some more that will fit? Also the top hat is too long! Just looked on my Special and it goes in up to the shoulder but the old one on my disc and the new item doesn’t. Again anyone know where I can get the correct length ferrule? Thanks.
Littlewheels

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:24 am

SR sell the axle nylocs
ULC Soulagent

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3