LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Old locks

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Old locks

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:15 pm

I hate just buying new stuff when I have old original parts that are usually way better than remade. :)

I have a Series 2 toolbox door lock. Number 318. I have a NOS key and a recut one ( recut from a different original). The keys will go in the lock, just. The recut is better than the original.

I have just taken the lock into a locksmith. He is going to strip it down and see if he can fix it. But, he isn’t too hopeful as he believes the barrel internals are just worn out and are impossible to get.

Has anyone any words of encouragement for me, other than a complete replacement? :)
Storkfoot

Re: Old locks

Postby dickie » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:38 pm

You can probably do it yourself. We've all got old locks lying about, and you could salvage some tumblers from them. If they're too long, you can file them down and I'm sure among them, you can select a few that are all a bit too long, then file to suit.

Does it make for efficient use of time? Absolutely not, but very satisfying if you get it right.

This link shows how simple it is (in thepry).

https://youtu.be/smIdInCQ-kU
dickie

Postby GoonerKev » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:31 pm

Try contacting Jem Booth, he's the Guru on locks. He is on Facebook

Kev
GoonerKev

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:18 pm

Last edited by Storkfoot on Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:28 pm

dickie wrote:You can probably do it yourself. We've all got old locks lying about, and you could salvage some tumblers from them. If they're too long, you can file them down and I'm sure among them, you can select a few that are all a bit too long, then file to suit. :D

Does it make for efficient use of time? Absolutely not, but very satisfying if you get it right.

This link shows how simple it is (in thepry).

https://youtu.be/smIdInCQ-kU

Thanks for that. Very interesting. The copy key, from Jem, does go all the way in and turns about 1/4 turn. The NOS original will go right the way in but won’t turn.

I told the locksmith that I had one or two old locks and asked him if they would be of any use. Politely, he gave me one of those looks which said, “are you kidding’ me?”

I’ll let you know what his investigation reveals :D
Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:29 pm

GoonerKev wrote:Try contacting Jem Booth, he's the Guru on locks. He is on Facebook

Kev

I get the sense he is very busy and I have never seen him advertise a service to take locks apart.
Storkfoot

Postby GoonerKev » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:59 am

Storkfoot wrote:
GoonerKev wrote:Try contacting Jem Booth, he's the Guru on locks. He is on Facebook

Kev

I get the sense he is very busy and I have never seen him advertise a service to take locks apart.

Look on his fcebook page, he has info about his services 4 or 5 articles down.
GoonerKev

Postby lofty » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:53 am

i have found that older locks may work, but the key number may not fit correctly as the internals or the key have worn.

I recut my own ignition key (using small files) by using the correct/original key as a pattern, but not cutting so deep to compensate for the worn tumblers..

took a bit of trail and error, but works ok

and as stated above, takes time and thought, but thats part of the appeal, and you get satsifaction when it works :-)
lofty

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:38 pm

The locksmith gave up on it pretty quickly saying that it was a mess inside. I now have it back.

Before I decide whether to just buy another, how does it come apart?
Storkfoot

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3