LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Engine Number erasure?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Engine Number erasure?

Postby Egee » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:39 pm

I've been offered a series 3 Li 150 engine. The engine number post is flat (no innocenti or stars logos) but the Li 150 and numbers are present. The owner has an old logbook with the engine number on it. He says he's had the engine since 1970. Is this a problem or is it ok?
Egee

Re: Engine Number erasure?

Postby gizmo » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:12 pm

It's not a problem if you want an engine and use as it is. I wouldn't be restamping it though as you have no evidence it's that engine. I am sure a far more intelligent gentleman than myself will soon give you the official and proper answer on here shortly
gizmo

Postby Egee » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:35 pm

gizmo wrote:It's not a problem if you want an engine and use as it is. I wouldn't be restamping it though as you have no evidence it's that engine. I am sure a far more intelligent gentleman than myself will soon give you the official and proper answer on here shortly

Thank you for offering your advice, it's already stamped!
Egee

Postby dickie » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:00 am

It's not a problem from a legal point of view. There's a good chance that the motor has a less than honest history, but the police, DVLA etc are interested in the VIN; the engine number is about as interesting to them as the colour. In other words it should match the V5, but that's about it.

As we're all aware, scootering has a significant element tea-leaving, although it's diminishing I think as people get older.
dickie

Postby gizmo » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:59 am

Egee wrote:
gizmo wrote:It's not a problem if you want an engine and use as it is. I wouldn't be restamping it though as you have no evidence it's that engine. I am sure a far more intelligent gentleman than myself will soon give you the official and proper answer on here shortly

Thank you for offering your advice, it's already stamped!

Apologies, I should have put my glasses on and read it properly
gizmo

Postby Egee » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:32 pm

dickie wrote:It's not a problem from a legal point of view. There's a good chance that the motor has a less than honest history, but the police, DVLA etc are interested in the VIN; the engine number is about as interesting to them as the colour. In other words it should match the V5, but that's about it.

As we're all aware, scootering has a significant element tea-leaving, although it's diminishing I think as people get older.

I thought that I'd read somewhere that engines were so plentiful and interchangeable and that the main concern was the frame number. As I said it had been with the seller since 1970, I think? At least he had an old trifold logbook!
Egee

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3