LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Tubeless rims

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Tubeless rims

Postby martyn dwane » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:36 pm

I know AF and SIP make Tubelss rims,and they are different , i now see FA Italia, and BGM also make them are they all different ? Any others, whats the pro`s and cons of the differnt ones ?
TIA
martyn dwane

Re: Tubeless rims

Postby Toddy » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:25 pm

martyn dwane wrote:I know AF and SIP make Tubelss rims,and they are different , i now see FA Italia, and BGM also make them are they all different ? Any others, whats the pro`s and cons of the differnt ones ?
TIA

The AF ones fit on standard studs and I believe are harder to get tyres on , SIP ones come with longer studs and seem the preferred choice
Toddy

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:27 am

Toddy wrote:
martyn dwane wrote:I know AF and SIP make Tubelss rims,and they are different , i now see FA Italia, and BGM also make them are they all different ? Any others, whats the pro`s and cons of the differnt ones ?
TIA

The AF ones fit on standard studs and I believe are harder to get tyres on , SIP ones come with longer studs and seem the preferred choice

I have both and Chiselspeed have never had issues putting tyres on. That doesn't mean to say that others haven't had a problem.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Toddy » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:34 am

Rich Oswald wrote:
Toddy wrote:
TIA

I have both and Chiselspeed have never had issues putting tyres on. That doesn't mean to say that others haven't had a problem.

Rich'

Chis don’t fit tyres on AF rims now I Rang up Monday ?
Toddy

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:23 pm

Rich'[/quote]

Chis don’t fit tyres on AF rims now I Rang up Monday ?[/quote][/quote]

Wow, i'm shocked!
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby gp200ts1 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:09 pm

i have lambretta re-store split tubeless (no longer made) and a set of gori split tubeless with another set on backorder. no faffing around trying to find someone to fit tyres when i can now do it myself. highly recommended despite poor italian delivery dates.
gp200ts1

Postby jonoy » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:32 pm

I bought one of the latest AF rims and it don’t work with standard length studs
Last edited by jonoy on Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jonoy

Postby Scooterslag » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:40 pm

gp200ts1 wrote:i have lambretta re-store split tubeless (no longer made) and a set of gori split tubeless with another set on backorder. no faffing around trying to find someone to fit tyres when i can now do it myself. highly recommended despite poor italian delivery dates.

Interesting, one of the main things that puts me off tubeless is finding someone local who can fit the tyres easily and without knackering the ( expensive) rims. I think Pinasco make split tubeless as well. Paul
Scooterslag

Postby gp200ts1 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:13 am

Scooterslag wrote:
gp200ts1 wrote:i have lambretta re-store split tubeless (no longer made) and a set of gori split tubeless with another set on backorder. no faffing around trying to find someone to fit tyres when i can now do it myself. highly recommended despite poor italian delivery dates.

Interesting, one of the main things that puts me off tubeless is finding someone local who can fit the tyres easily and without knackering the ( expensive) rims. I think Pinasco make split tubeless as well. Paul

Pinasco make the split tubeless for Vespa but the lambretta ones are branded Gori.
gp200ts1

Postby Jeff t » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:46 am

If you ring round local independant tyer fitters i’m sure you will find someone who can fit them, there are two 10 mins from me that i’ve used. One a car place and one a bike shop.
Jeff t

Postby coaster » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:51 pm

I've always fitted my owwn tyres to my SIP rims but find fitting Hight Load rated ones with the 3 ply side walls virtually impossible and have actually snapped the beac on 2 :shock: Lighter 2 ply have gonr on reasonably easily once the tyre is warmed. I also almost always have to take them to a tyre garage to get them inflated as even as domestic compressors dont generate enough pressure to push the beads out into the rims.
coaster

Postby martyn dwane » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:38 am

who have you got them on back order with ?
martyn dwane

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:22 am

I always soften my tyres first by putting the tyre in a steel box along with my 2kw fan heater, turning the tyre periodically to heat it evenly. I like to get it so that I can just handle it with bare hands.
Tyre bead soap is essential and plenty of it.
The only tool I use is a mallet to tap the bottom of the tyre into the well of the wheel as much as possible. If the tyre is soft enough, then the top of the beading will fold over the rim using your hands and knees. (I've seen too many tyres and rims damaged through the use of tyre levers. I would strongly advise against their use!)
After fitting, If the tyre doesnt expand out onto the rim, then you can use a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tyre to persuade the tyre beading out toward the rim. A high volume compressor is virtually essential. ( The one that plugs into your cig lighter socket just ain't gonna cut it) As soon as the beading begins to grip the rim, remove the strap and inflate to the desired pressure. Recheck the pressure after the tyre has cooled down.
Some fitters remove the tyre valve during the initial inflation proceedure. I've never found this neccessary myself, but I suppose if your compressor capacity is limited, then this may very well help.
Fast n Furious

Postby Lord-Spanner » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:58 am

I have 3 (one spare) of the matt black sip alloy rims which do come with longer studs, nordlock washers and nuts, and bgm sport tyres (I now know the worst combo known to scooter man), planned on fitting the myself but not a chance in hell, even with warmth and proper tyre soap, tyre levers, rim protectors and a mb scooters wheel holder bolted down to a small bench, the risk of damaging the paint rims was way to high, tried numerous tyre fitters, car shop machines are no good, even most motorcycle shops won't touch them with a barge pole, ended up taking them to a triumph dealer to fit, cost me a bloody fortune too and they damaged the paint slightly, mainly inside though, and to top it all one leaked around the rim so had to de-bead the tyre, clean and reseat the bead, eventually got it to seal.......................leason learnt :shock: :shock:
Lord-Spanner

Postby gp200ts1 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:49 pm

Martyn, they are on backorder with VE spares. Best price I could find and as I’m in no rush I can manage the wait.
gp200ts1

Postby ULC Soulagent » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:39 am

I tried fitting one to our endurance racer :twisted: what a fooking Ballache it was but eventually got it on. Had another 4 to do so said “ Feck that” and took it to my local motorcycle dealer who always shakes his head whenever I walk in with scooter related bits. He hates doing them as damaged many rims n tyres but so far mine have come away intact for £10 a rim I’ll take that chance.
ULC Soulagent

Postby martyn dwane » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:42 am

gp200ts1 wrote:Martyn, they are on backorder with VE spares. Best price I could find and as I’m in no rush I can manage the wait.

thanks.
martyn dwane

Postby ROClarke » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:58 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:I always soften my tyres first by putting the tyre in a steel box along with my 2kw fan heater, turning the tyre periodically to heat it evenly. I like to get it so that I can just handle it with bare hands.
Tyre bead soap is essential and plenty of it.
The only tool I use is a mallet to tap the bottom of the tyre into the well of the wheel as much as possible. If the tyre is soft enough, then the top of the beading will fold over the rim using your hands and knees. (I've seen too many tyres and rims damaged through the use of tyre levers. I would strongly advise against their use!)
After fitting, If the tyre doesnt expand out onto the rim, then you can use a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tyre to persuade the tyre beading out toward the rim. A high volume compressor is virtually essential. ( The one that plugs into your cig lighter socket just ain't gonna cut it) As soon as the beading begins to grip the rim, remove the strap and inflate to the desired pressure. Recheck the pressure after the tyre has cooled down.
Some fitters remove the tyre valve during the initial inflation proceedure. I've never found this neccessary myself, but I suppose if your compressor capacity is limited, then this may very well help.

My son used to race karts and In Formula TKM.I could change all 4 tyres in less than a minute.I get so frustrated that I cannot put a 100/90 tyre on my AF rim.
You have strengthend mr resolve to have another go after a tyre fitter damaged my rim and gave it back to me with it leaking,fortunately I still have the Kart
Tyre press so I was able to pop it off the bead and re-seal it .
ROClarke

Postby martyn dwane » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:58 pm

martyn dwane wrote:
gp200ts1 wrote:Martyn, they are on backorder with VE spares. Best price I could find and as I’m in no rush I can manage the wait.

thanks.

Ive messaged two dealers that have them listed as out of stock on their website about back ordering 2 , No reply from either , must be nice to be so busy that you cant reply.Guess i`ll stick to what Mr Innocenti made.
martyn dwane

Postby gp200ts1 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:53 pm

martyn dwane wrote:
martyn dwane wrote:

thanks.

Ive messaged two dealers that have them listed as out of stock on their website about back ordering 2 , No reply from either , must be nice to be so busy that you cant reply.Guess i`ll stick to what Mr Innocenti made.

if VE spares was one of them then good luck. communication is very sketchy with them. last set of rims were delivered after 3 months, no apology note or freebies like stickers etc just the rims and the receipt.
gp200ts1

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3