LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Return to points.

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Return to points.

Postby Chadley » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:37 pm

Nigel. S wrote:I learned of Easy cap through another thread on here, when I thought of points again I remembered I had read something somewhere, and of course, it was here. I've copied a post from that thread here.....

Chadley wrote:I use EasyCap CU/220s as replacements for condensers on points stators: http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/easycap/index.htm

After I experienced intermittent ignition drop-outs when hot, I replaced the original Ducati condenser with an EasyCap. No further issues (well not ignition related!) since fitting it about four years ago. It requires adapting the generic PCB to suit and is not the cheapest item. I measured the capacitance of on original Ducato condenser and found it to be ~440nF but the EasyCap 220nF seems to work well for me.

Points ignition still running well with EasyCap - hopefully I'll be saying the same after the run to Mersea on Friday!
Chadley

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:12 pm

Last edited by Adam_Winstone on Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:25 pm

It's exactly the sort of daft thing that I do!

I have a bit of a fetish for rewiring stators, whether they be points or electronic.

I'll have to go back to re-read the thread to see what it is that you're trying to achieve.

I totally get why you would look to configure a stator to suit you... and to get your mojo back. I get a great deal of satisfaction from creating Frankenstein's stator, then finding that it functions beautifully.

IMO I would follow up on the offer of a VGC original Ducati flywheel, rather than swapping bosses. I do swap bosses but there are so many VGC points flywheels sitting on people's shelves that it would be an opportunity missed.

Cheers
Adam_Winstone

Postby Nigel. S » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:42 pm

[quote="Adam_Winstone"]It's exactly the sort of daft thing that I do!

I'll have to go back to re-read the thread to see what it is that you're trying to achieve.

The goal is a simply a good points system, in as much as a points system can be :D. As new or better.
I just aim to get everything in tip top order and see if I can banish the restarting anxiety that haunted me and my riding companions. I can live happily with adjusting points now and again.
To be honest it'll go one of two, no, three ways...
I'll do it, it works perfectly, I keep it.
I'll do it, it works ok but not great, I ditch it.
I'll do it, it doesn't work.

I could just simply chuck all my old stuff back on it and have it running on points, but I know that won't be the optimal system that I'm after.

(there is a little bit of "told you I could" in my childish brain too)
Nigel. S

Postby Adam_Winstone » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:30 pm

I've not tried one of the condenser replacements mentioned here, which look good if not too expensive, however, I've only had a few condensors fail on me over the years so typically just keep a spare stator with me if rallying on such a setup.

For me the standard condensor, points (ideally double sprung) and standard stator coil are 'reasonably' satisfactory, however, swappingvto a better coil improves starting dramatically. I remember people swapping away from the standard cylindrical coil to Spanish Motoplat or Vespa coil to real benefit, me having used both.

As far as lighting systems are concerned, the 'simple 12v conversion' (standard 6v stator but using a Vespa 3-pin regulator to provide a 12v output works surprisingly well, although the power available is limited. Much like some 12v systems, put your foot on the brake and the lights dip... but worse. Under normal riding conditions the lights tend to be very good.

Better still, spend a bit of time with a soldering iron and another 6v donor stator and it is easy to swap out the horn and brake light 6v coils for 2 more lighting coils and you end up with a single 4-coil lighting circuit (same as other 12v Electronic stators) and excellent lights... but still with the original point ignition.

BTW I was forced back to points systems by my Vega, before electronic kits became available, and that never missed a beat, being a great reminder that there is little wrong with a good condition points ignition.
Adam_Winstone

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3