LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Gear cluster bearing track- sat too high?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Gear cluster bearing track- sat too high?

Postby Scooterslag » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:58 pm

Just fitting a new layshaft into a gearbox and noticed that the gear cluster bearing track is sat about 2mm above the casings, the steel shim underneath it has some movement as well- it this ok or does it need to be pushed into the cases more? the gearbox/engine ran fine before so shall I just leave it as is? thanks Paul

Scooterslag

Re: Gear cluster bearing track- sat too high?

Postby Knowledge » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:40 am

Remember, when you tighten the centre nut in the clutch, the Xmas tree is pulled away from this bearing, so it might make no difference at all to leave it as it is.
Knowledge

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:37 am

When you stripped it down, was your cluster gear fitted with the 30 x 16 x 1mm bearing retainer shim?
Normally the bearing here is a 16 x 22 x 12. I've seen it where the bearing has been substituted with a 16 x 22 x 14. resulting in the omission of the bearing retainer shim. :o
Fast n Furious

Postby Scooterslag » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:45 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:When you stripped it down, was your cluster gear fitted with the 30 x 16 x 1mm bearing retainer shim?
Normally the bearing here is a 16 x 22 x 12. I've seen it where the bearing has been substituted with a 16 x 22 x 14. resulting in the omission of the bearing retainer shim. :o

Yes the shim is fitted to the cluster gear and the old bearing was 16 x 22 x 12 ;) will leave be and rebuild accordingly :) thanks for the info chaps , Paul ;)
Scooterslag

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3