LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Rear Hub Fitting

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Rear Hub Fitting

Postby Littlewheels » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:20 pm

Fitting a series 3 rear hub but unsure whether I should grease/oil the surface of the cone or inside the hub where the cone fits? Or should it be dry?
Littlewheels

Re: Rear Hub Fitting

Postby alex_hughes » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:28 pm

No need for grease here.
alex_hughes

Postby Littlewheels » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:50 am

Thanks, yes ok no grease.

The reason I removed the hub was to check the bearing as the engine was rebuilt approx 8 years ago (was told had covered little miles since) and after stripping the front end down I found some poor quality items fitted. I understand that there were a batch of bearings with resin cages that could potentially collapse in service so I didn't want to be riding wondering if my backside was sitting on top of one! Having said that the last time I rode the scoot we were 2 up with luggage and the rear wheel was solid.
So I looked anyway. The bearing had no markings on the outer or inner edge? I removed the Rolf seal to find a metal cage. Curiosity satisfied so I just fitted a new MB seal and re fitted the two plates using the old nuts and washers with a smidge of loctite.
Now I'm thinking........

While I had the engine out of the scooter should I have stripped the gearbox and just replaced all the bearings?

Read a thread on here (after I had fitted) where someone replaced a rear hub bearing seal with an MB one and it leaked!

Can anyone advise
Littlewheels

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:17 pm

Can of worms applies here, if it ain’t broke then just leave the damm thing alone ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby Littlewheels » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:21 pm

Yes can of worms but better than bearing collapsing at 60mph!
Littlewheels

Postby hullygully » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:02 pm

do not grease the cone bud :o
I had a Casa resin type rear hub bearing that collapsed, the rollers cage broke into 3 parts, it leaked oil, but that's all, no hub movement as the rollers were still contained in the inner & outer races, mine went on the way back from Blackpool on M62, you can imagine what went thru' my head when I stripped her to change the seal :shock: :evil: & all I got was an apologetic letter & a new bearing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hullygully

Postby Littlewheels » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:27 pm

Thanks pal, yes i've cleaned it all down with white spirit then isopropyl so its super clean.

My engine was rebuilt around the time those resin caged bearings were around hence my need to check.

You were lucky the balls didn't push out of the races! Did they replace it with the same bearing? :?
Littlewheels

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3