LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Running a 6 v DC battery system through a Wassell regulator

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Running a 6 v DC battery system through a Wassell regulator

Postby Scooterslag » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:14 am

I notice a lot of Brit bike boys run their 6 volt systems through wassell regulators - could you do the same with a standard 6V DC system and if so- would it improve the lighting? just a random question really ;) cheers Paul
Scooterslag

Re: Running a 6 v DC battery system through a Wassell regula

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:34 am

If it's the Wassell 10221P type regulator that you are considering then No.
These regulators are designed to control the field winding of a dynamo. These old DC dynamo's were originally controlled by a mechanical cut out device (probably Lucas). The Wassell 10221P is just a replacement solid state version of this.
Fast n Furious

Postby lofty » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:58 am

I guess the advantage of a solid state rectifier would be less loss of power than in an old, less efficient, device.. hence a bit more current to drive the bulbs, especially at lower revs..

Ultimately its still 6v though..

i did make a 6v solid state rectifier for my TV2, still with the 4 pole stator.. lighting wasn't noticeably improved, but it meant the battery stayed charged for longer as the rectifier did not bleed current back when the engine was off..
lofty

Postby Scooterslag » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:03 am

Interesting stuff, thanks for the replies fella's . Paul ;)
Scooterslag

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3