LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

6v V 12v Help

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

6v V 12v Help

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:06 am

I've just got a DL 125 straight from Italy, still got a 6v coil so I assume it's still on points. The back light wasn't working so I fitted a new 6v bulb and there was only the tiniest of light on it. Fitted a 12v bulb and it was bright as anything.

My question is, could it have some sort of 12V conversion and how would I tell if it has?

Thanks,

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Re: 6v V 12v Help

Postby lofty » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:33 am

that doesnt make sense.. s a 6v bulb on a 12v system would in theory burn very bright (and possibly blow), wheras a 12v bulb on a 6v system should be quite dim..

did you put the 6v bulb back in after trying the 12? could be that removing/replacing the bulb has rubbed and 'cleaned' the contacts..

I guess the easy (without too much dismantling) way of determining if its 6/12v is to look at the junction box/rectifier.. if theres just a junction box or the old black style box with a bunch of different coloured wires.. very likely original 6v.
lofty

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:46 pm

lofty wrote:that doesnt make sense.. s a 6v bulb on a 12v system would in theory burn very bright (and possibly blow), wheras a 12v bulb on a 6v system should be quite dim..

did you put the 6v bulb back in after trying the 12? could be that removing/replacing the bulb has rubbed and 'cleaned' the contacts..

I guess the easy (without too much dismantling) way of determining if its 6/12v is to look at the junction box/rectifier.. if theres just a junction box or the old black style box with a bunch of different coloured wires.. very likely original 6v.

Thanks Lofty, I was thinking that, but i'm a bit daft with electrics, lol! I will try the 6V bulb again and see.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:48 am

It could just be a faulty 6v bulb with an internal short circuit.
Fast n Furious

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3