LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Time to replace engine mounts - Which ones?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Time to replace engine mounts - Which ones?

Postby GP Kevo » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:05 pm

There is a lot of choice nowadays regarding engine mounts. Back 10 years ago and pretty much the best I had tried were genuine SIL 2 hole silent blocs. They transformed the ride and handling of my GP200 TS1. I need to replace the engine mounts on my GP150 TS1 Annihilator. I tend to ride pretty hard, but I have also used it for riding to rallies and will continue to do so until my GP200 is back on the road. Rallies are mostly within 200 miles.

There are no more 2 hole SIL engine mounts. A mate of mine has PLC Corse green engine mounts in his SS200 full race ported road bike. He loves them. I think he also has them in his SSR 265. However, on a 200 mile ride I noticed he was getting very tired, almost fatigued before the last 60 miles. That could be because he was riding in shorts, sneakers and only a work jacket while I was kitted out in my Akito touring gear and Alpinestars touring gloves. But I wonder if vibration played a part. That said I understand the SSR 265 motors are low on vibration.

I do want better handling on my scooter so that's why I'm considering the PLC Corse mounts. But there are also the MB / BGM mounts with a harder kickstart side and up indicating arrows for correct installation. They are chamfered where the PLC Corse ones are not. There are also engine mounts from SIL, Scootopia and Casa Lambretta.

What engine mounts / silent blocs do you use? Have you heard of any problems / issues with the ones I've mentioned?
GP Kevo

Re: Time to replace engine mounts - Which ones?

Postby Martin s » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:37 pm

I've had scootopia later version ones in a little 175 and have been great. I put some UNI chrome ones in a 225 and they rusted in next to no time, the kickstart side failed after 1500 miles, but that was probably me warming the casing and fitting them, not realising they would have been a slack fit to start with. Replaced with MB stainless ones, and they have been great so far. I've also put some BGM ones in an engine I'm building, they fitted easy enough, nice and tight, but obviously that's as far as I've got with them. In future, I'd probably try the Scootopia ones again.
Martin s

Postby Norrie Bodge » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:05 am

SIL 3-hole type
Use Scooter restoration’s IMO
Norrie Bodge

Postby Rich Oswald » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:20 am

Norrie Bodge wrote:SIL 3-hole type
Use Scooter restoration’s IMO

+1
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby hullygully » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:30 am

AF's extended drive side mounts in my 2 x rally goin scoots 8-)
hullygully

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:59 pm

I have been using Scootopia ones for several years. I have not had to replace any and and have no issues with excessive vibration. I understand that the first batch of Scootopia ones were a bit too hard in composition but Scootopia rectified this.
Storkfoot

Postby Toddy » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:13 pm

I’ve used BGM and genuine SIL ones both good
Toddy

Postby gaz_powell » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:51 pm

In my last and new built ive used AF/Uni Auto 3 hole.

They are great in the S2
gaz_powell

Postby GP Kevo » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:06 am

Thanks for the replies :)

I'm going to try the PLC Corse green engine mounts, after speaking with two of my friends that are using them. I'll post how I get along with installing and running them.
GP Kevo

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:45 am

GP Kevo wrote:Thanks for the replies :)

I'm going to try the PLC Corse green engine mounts, after speaking with two of my friends that are using them. I'll post how I get along with installing and running them.

Have them in one of my RT engines, not bad really but I’ll use whatever is the fashion dictates :lol:
ULC Soulagent

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3