LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

SX200 noisy

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

SX200 noisy

Postby pg42 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:26 pm

I have an SX200 engine that keeps 'nipping up' in spite of being very carefully run in for up to 1000 miles before being DRIVEN. It has always sounded tinny and had a vibration even after 2 total rebuilds including the crankshaft. One of the engine mounting lugs has been welded at some stage and i always put the vibration down to that. I have pressure drop tested it including patiently warming the casing with no loss. I wonder if there is a heat crack somewhere that opens up when hot thus leaning the mixture right out. I think i read somewhere, years ago, that engine vibration can cause the fuel to aerate which causes fuel starvation. Any thoughts ??
pg42

Re: SX200 noisy

Postby vegansydney » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:39 pm

What was the run out on the crank when you rebuilt it both times? Under 0.03mm? Of the last several 'off the shelf' cranks I've purchased, only 2 were within spec, the rest were out of true and (a very expensive) one was millimeters out.

Good luck!
vegansydney

Re: SX200 noisy

Postby Adam_Winstone » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:02 pm

Ignition advancing at higher revs? Fairly common and only observed with a strobe.
Adam_Winstone

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3