LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Lambretta Lynx 12v Motoplat conversion?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Lambretta Lynx 12v Motoplat conversion?

Postby rogscoot » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:21 pm

Hi there,

I have a 1984 Lambretta Lynx which uses the 12v Motoplat electronic ignition with battery + indicators.

I need to change the crank so was thinking about using a GP type, in which case does anyone know if there is a plug and play stator/flywheel that would work with the existing wiring loom? I have 2x yellow wires going from the stator to the regulator, it must be a rectifier too but on the wiring diagrams I've seen it's always referred to as a regulator.

Any help is appreciated!
rogscoot

Re: Lambretta Lynx 12v Motoplat conversion?

Postby missing lynx » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:04 pm

I use a scootronic dc stator, a Sil gp flywheel and wassel dc regulator on my Lynx. I have modified (tidied up) the wiring in the headset. Apart from the headlight all my bulbs are led's so I've got a different flasher unit but the loom is mostly as it was. BTW if the engine is std I would stick with the original taper crank IMHO the Serveta electronic ignition is a far superior system for a std engines scooter
missing lynx

Postby rogscoot » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:41 am

Thank you for the reply, that’s really useful information.

It definitely wasn’t a quick decision to swap from the Motoplat as it does seem to work well and many people say good things about it despite the flywheel weight, I guess the issues are more to do with not having any spare CDIs or a holder tool for the flywheel, I ordered a GP crank today so I’m committed to the change :?

I have also ordered a Gori 175 cast iron kit so hopefully that makes the crank swap worthwhile even if I won’t be breaking any speed records!

That’s great news about the scootronics dc stator as I have a friend with a spare one that I can use and another friend with a spare GP flywheel! And I have a load of Ducati CDIs so in theory that part of the puzzle should be a cheap conversion.

I did wonder whether the original Motoplat regulator would work with the scootronics stator but I suppose it’s not worth frying it when the new Wassel types are so cheap.

Cheers
rogscoot

Postby missing lynx » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:39 pm

The Serveta stator has a far higher wattage than most so the regulator is if I remember rated to 135 watts but as you say the wassel units a relatively cheap. Also the Serveta electronic ignition is quite sort after so you could sell the complete unit
missing lynx

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3