LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Series 3 LI Special Headset

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Series 3 LI Special Headset

Postby Gino_Lamberto » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi forumgoers, I am new to this forum so bear with me please. I recently brought a 1965 125Li Special, I soon noticed that all was not right on the handlebars and the lefthand side gear change had excessive play, anyhow to cut a long story short after stripping down the headset it became aparent that the lower headset casting had cracked and was infact in 2 pieces being held together by the assembly and cables only :o :? :cry: so I removed the headset from the scoot, stripped out all of the internals and sent it off to be Tig welded. When the headset came back from welding I was more than happy, the finish was great and the component seemed to be strong too ... until today when it broke again just to one side of the weld.

My question is this: I am unsure that I wish to keep repairing it, especially if it is going to keep craking again shortly after, it could be nasty if out on the road :shock: . The price of the few 2nd hand units around is unreal to be honest, but the standard Li headset is a cheaper option ...

Can I fit a standard round headlight Li headset to my 'special' or am I going to have to rob my grandmother for the £175 for the 'special' lower headset ?

Many Thanks

Andy
Gino_Lamberto

Re: Series 3 LI Special Headset

Postby HxPaul » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:00 pm

If your not bothered about originality,there are lots of scooter shops that sell complete chrome ring or non chrome ring headsets for about £165,that way you can be sure the top half matches the bottom half,most of them include matching headlight rim.
HxPaul

Postby St George » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:37 pm

I agree they are expensive but safety first. There will be some jumbles in the summer, also put an add on this forums wanted section. You may get a solid one which needs a good clean up with wet & dry.

Colin
St George

Postby wurzel » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Remember to take the top with you if you are going to pick a bottom half up from an auto jumble
as getting a good match can be hit and miss
wurzel

Postby Revvers » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:44 pm

I bought one very recently from ScootRs. Looks pretty good to me although I am told you have to stick with their chrome headlamp rim due to the fixings (?)
Revvers

Postby itisgonnarunproperly » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:23 am

I JUST love the Special headset shape, its your scoot but I personally would rather pay out for a replacement than change it for an Li one, I built a '62 Li and made into a Special/TV, and as other members have said, if you can wait until scoot fairs.... I wouldn't rely on a welded ally headset base, as proven by you it broke again...... think doing 60 down carriageway headset decides to part company...get the picture? :shock: And as I say it is your scoot you do what you want 8-)
itisgonnarunproperly

Postby Gino_Lamberto » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:52 am

Thanks for the help, appreciate it ;)
Gino_Lamberto

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3