LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Series 3 18mm carb manifold

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Series 3 18mm carb manifold

Postby Meds » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:45 pm

Are there different 18mm carb manifolds?
Just been helping out a mate and noticed his carb isn't sitting right, after a bit of poking around it looks like the carb manifold isn't allowing the carb to sit square.
He has changed the engine mounts from small type to later series 3 type.
Meds

Re: Series 3 18mm carb manifold

Postby Digger » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:05 am

I have a selection of them - with differing lengths all with the same part number.
Digger

Postby peejay » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:29 pm

fitting S3 engine mounts to an S1 or S2 motor will cause carb clearance issues for sure.
slotting the manifold holes may just give you enough room if you are lucky :)

i prefer to make a new manifold out of two old ones and swing the carb forward by a few degrees, this really helps when trying to get the carb off when it's been fitted for some time as you have room to rotate it a bit instead of beating it off from the other side
peejay

Postby Tony Hart » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:57 pm

peejay wrote:fitting S3 engine mounts to an S1 or S2 motor will cause carb clearance issues for sure.
slotting the manifold holes may just give you enough room if you are lucky :)

i prefer to make a new manifold out of two old ones and swing the carb forward by a few degrees, this really helps when trying to get the carb off when it's been fitted for some time as you have room to rotate it a bit instead of beating it off from the other side

Hi Peejay

How do you make the new manifold? I am struggling to get a manifold that will allow me to fit a SH2/22 carb to my S2. The GP 150 one that has the holes in the right place doesn't have a long enough reach on the neck; carb can't go all the way back before fouling on cylinder cowl and fuel tap :(

Regards

Tony
Tony Hart

Postby peejay » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:29 pm

just for you Tony :)

this is fitted on an early moggie 185 on a series 2 with series 3 mounts

i did this several years ago and don't remember exactly the measurements but the stub to the barrel face was cut about 20mm from the bolt hole deliberately not square and fitted on the studs, then cut the other stub as long as you possibly can to start with and fit to the carb and offer the two together, it will soon become obvious to you as you rotate the free end as to where the weld has to be to give you some vital movement, simples.
peejay

Postby Tony Hart » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:00 pm

Cheers Peejay, greatly appreciated. Cutting tomorrow and finding a welder on Monday :)

Tony
Tony Hart

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3