LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Clutch

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Clutch

Postby Geocamper » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:56 pm

i can change gear on my series 2 without using the clutch. I also have neutral between 1st and 2nd where it should be and also between 2nd and 3rd. When,in gear it does stall. As a newbie to Lambretta mechanics could someone point me in the right direction.Cheers
Geocamper

Re: Clutch

Postby rossclark » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:00 pm

Neutral should be between 1st and 2nd, if you have another between 2nd and 3rd it's possible one of the cogs is back to front it the shimming of the gear box is bad.

With the bike moving it's possible to change gears without using the clutch but risks stripping the teeth of a cog or snapping the selector dog due to the shock.

If you mean that it stalls when you engage gear with the clutch in and not moving, then you do have a clutch problem. You should have a little movement 1-2mm at the lever before the cable starts to move. If more then you need to try adjusting that first.

In any case it's likely you need to get check the gearbox because of the neutrals problem, so you can check the clutch is set up properly when you're in there.
rossclark

Postby Donnie » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:51 pm

Wot he said above....................................however........

Mine's got a neutral twixt 1 and 2 as well as 3 and 4, also, I only use the clutch cable to get into 1st from the lights / standing start and it's been like that since 2006 so that's now over 8 years!

In that time, i've changed one gear cable (2 months ago) and that's it. Same gear box, chain, sprockets, and even clutch plates!

So, it could well be a "characteristic" or it could be something you need to address :-)

How long have you noticed this?
Donnie

Postby Geocamper » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:28 pm

Thanks Guys. This only started happening yesterday. I have just had all the gearing adjusted only last week and yesterday was the first time I have had to try the scooter out. Everything was fine for about 30 mile then I noticed the scooter was under powered when changing into 3rd gear on a hill. Nursed the scooter home and noticed the gearing was quite slack on the handle. There was plenty of power in 1st and 2nd but not in 3rd and 4th.
Geocamper

Postby rossclark » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:47 pm

If the cables are new they can stretch a bit and need adjusting. If there's slop in the gear change then they need tightening.

The symptom you describe sounds like clutch slip, this is worse under load like going up a hill or changing up at low speed and snapping the throttle open. You seem to be revving on but not pulling. If it won't rev then you need to look somewhere else.

When you say 'gearing adjusted last week' what exactly do you mean? If this has happened since then and this is the first time you've really had it out then I'd look at discussing with whoever did the adjusting.
rossclark

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3