LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Converting GP end plate to Li version

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Converting GP end plate to Li version

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:52 am

For a longtime, my kick start plunger has been dragging on my first gear. I've tried the easy fixes but the best way forward is to cut of the current GP ramp, which is matched to the casing. However, what is the easiest location to do the chopping on the GP ramp. For instance, do I need to grind back to replicate the image of the Li end plate, or can I make an easier cut. A red felt tip mark on a copy of the photos below would be great.

Paulnobodyimportant

Re: Converting GP end plate to Li version

Postby DaveTomo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:26 pm

One I did a few years ago (near the bottom of the thread) - http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic ... =+endplate
DaveTomo

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:27 pm

Many thanks Dave, that's sorted it for me. I've got a dremmel, but did you do the initial cuts using the thin disc blades, if so, was it a slow process.
Paulnobodyimportant

Postby DaveTomo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:46 pm

As long as you've got decent cutting discs you should be OK Paul - some of the cheap ones I've used before literally disintegrate as soon as you start cutting :oops: , even a hacksaw will do it , did a mate of mines last year also & used a junior hacksaw just to get the cut/slots going. Take your time and give it a light file after to dress it, good luck.
DaveTomo

Postby Knowledge » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:20 pm

For the initial cut, I'd put a 1mm cutting disc in a 4.5" angle grinder. It will save lots of dremmel cutting discs or junior hacksaw blades (other, grown-up hacksaw blades are available)
Knowledge

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks for the input. And seeing as I'm impatient, I could see disaster looming with me, a dremmel and a cutting blade. So I've given it to a chap at work who is a master with a grinder and that sort of stuff. Anyway, should all be back together this weekend with one of Rich T's new chain tensioners, new 1st gear and kickstart plunger and no more grating noise or silver oil to drain off.
Paulnobodyimportant

Postby HxPaul » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:54 pm

Dont forget,if your using the original engine case cover,you have to drill and tap the inside to fit the Li type ramp.
HxPaul

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:59 pm

Hxpaul. Yes already done that bit but thanks
Paulnobodyimportant

Postby coaster » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:02 am

Knowledge wrote:For the initial cut, I'd put a 1mm cutting disc in a 4.5" angle grinder. It will save lots of dremmel cutting discs or junior hacksaw blades (other, grown-up hacksaw blades are available)

I did mine with an angle grinder, the metal was very soft and the initial cuts took only seconds and not much longer tidying up the radiuses. If you have access to a vice and, a good hacksaw and a some files, it still wouldn't take that long to do it by hand.
coaster

Postby Meds » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:58 am

I was thinking of doing a similar thing as I have an Li chain case and want to fit it to a GP engine but there is no going back after cutting lumps off the end plate.
What's the advantage in this mod and is it worth doing.
If I don't cut the end plate can I just in remove the kickstart ramp from the LI casing to make it work on the GP endplate.
Meds

Postby coaster » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:32 am

The advantage is that it allows the point at which the kickstart engages to be adjusted. The bolt on ramp allows this so that you can maximise the amount of useful travel on the lever. Probably not a problem if your scoot is an easy starter and is happy with a one revolution jab ;)
coaster

Postby Meds » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:09 pm

I don't know that yet as I haven't started building it yet
Meds

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:28 pm

In the end it was fairly easy. Gave it to one of the lads in the office, who gave it to his dad. Who then dropped it off just now. Looks a good job. May play around with the offcut and hacksaw/dremmel over the weekend to see if i could have really done it myself.

But thanks for the help
Paul

Paulnobodyimportant

Postby rossclark » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:08 pm

The metal's not that hard. I did mine with a hacksaw and used the bench grinder to smooth it off.

rossclark

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3