LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

hub stud removal

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

hub stud removal

Postby HxPaul » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:30 pm

Has anyone ever removed the wheel studs in a rear hub.I've tried to remove mine but they wont budge,I know that they are a left hand thread but I cant move them.The heads are begining to get all chewed up and I'm quickly loosing patience.
HxPaul

Re: hub stud removal

Postby Toddy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:40 pm

Have you applied heat or soaked in anything to assist ?
Toddy

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:19 pm

Left one of mine to soak overnight in penetrating oiland then trapped the heads in a vice and slowly turned the hub, but make sure that its the right way. Stickys book recommend grinding the base of the correct socket size to get rid of that curved bit at the entrance to a socket. This is to enable all of that fairly flat stub head to be gripped fully.

Failing that, the following link is the last resort, as shown on the MB site.

http://www.lambrettaspares.com/info/mb- ... s+277.html
Paulnobodyimportant

Postby HxPaul » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Paulnobodyimportant wrote:Left one of mine to soak overnight in penetrating oiland then trapped the heads in a vice and slowly turned the hub, but make sure that its the right way. Stickys book recommend grinding the base of the correct socket size to get rid of that curved bit at the entrance to a socket. This is to enable all of that fairly flat stub head to be gripped fully.

Failing that, the following link is the last resort, as shown on the MB site.

http://www.lambrettaspares.com/info/mb- ... s+277.html

Thanks for the link.If MB have a problem,I have no chance.I think I might treat myself to one of the new super safe hubs by Scootopia.
Thanks to Toddy for the suggestion,I have used lots of heat but to no avail.
HxPaul

Postby dickie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:26 pm

I have had one of these for years and have NEVER failed to remove a stud when using it. The only caveat to that statement (there is ALWAYS a caveat) is that you need to get reasonably close to where the stud enters the casting (or whatever) otherwise you will simply twist the stud until it shears.

Of course do the usual heat thing first and remember that this device will probably destroy your screw/bolt thread, but it would certainly get a screw out of a lambretta hub.

Unfortunately I can't remember where I got mine, but it has no brand on it, so I doubt it was anything of reasonable reputation. I think it only cost me £10 to £20, but it has been invaluable.

I'm not on commission! :D
dickie

Postby steveg » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:54 pm

I've had success by soaking them overnight, then clamping the threaded part of the stud (assuming it's not snapped off) in a vice before using a combination of heat from a blow lamp and working the hub to crack them off. Once that's done you can use and open ended spanner to get them out. But If the stud's broken I'd go with the new hub :lol:
steveg

Postby dickie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:20 pm

dickie wrote:I have had one of these for years and have NEVER failed to remove a stud when using it. The only caveat to that statement (there is ALWAYS a caveat) is that you need to get reasonably close to where the stud enters the casting (or whatever) otherwise you will simply twist the stud until it shears.

Of course do the usual heat thing first and remember that this device will probably destroy your screw/bolt thread, but it would certainly get a screw out of a lambretta hub.

Unfortunately I can't remember where I got mine, but it has no brand on it, so I doubt it was anything of reasonable reputation. I think it only cost me £10 to £20, but it has been invaluable.

Forgot the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390948270573?redirect=mobile
dickie

Postby landybretta » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:50 pm

dickie wrote:I have had one of these for years and have NEVER failed to remove a stud when using it. The only caveat to that statement (there is ALWAYS a caveat) is that you need to get reasonably close to where the stud enters the casting (or whatever) otherwise you will simply twist the stud until it shears.

I took my hub into the local Machine Mart and asked if they had anything to remove the studs.
They provided me with 2 stud extractors to choose from.
Only one fitted properly so I bought it.
Removed all of the studs from both the front and back drums.
Note that the extractor will chew the studs as it grips them.
landybretta

Postby dave411 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:12 pm

dickie wrote:

Forgot the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390948270573?redirect=mobile

I have one of these,have'nt used it on my Lammy yet,but it is a brilliant tool,never failed to remove what ever its attached to
dave411

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3