LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

SX200 lighting problem

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

SX200 lighting problem

Postby GFSX200 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi Everyone,
This is my first time on the forum so hopefully this is in the right area.

I have a 1967 SX200 (our family from new). We restored it full nearly 15 years ago (saved from an uncles skip...), Its all standard apart from the Scooter Restorations electronic kit and loom (no battery). Here is the problem:

When you have the lights on in dip position they all work including the brake light and horn but when you flick to main beam we lose the side light and rear light although the brake light still works. Initially I thought the switch (casa) was to blame as if you rocked it slightly in the main beam position the lights would be ok.

I got a new switch from SR (one of their excellent quality ones...?) and now the problems is till there, lack of side and back light on main beam. I've since changed the headlight bulb holder/junction, cleaned all earths and replaced the rear light unit, checked all the wiring - still no joy!

Can you help its driving me mad!
GFSX200

Re: SX200 lighting problem

Postby Knowledge » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:30 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You seem to have done the right sort of thing. Swapping the switch seems like the correct course of action, but the results have been disappointing.

I suspect a short circuit or bad connection somewhere. Somewhere these can lurk in the most unexpected places; even within the headlight or tail light bulb. These are cheap items to swap-out: much cheaper than a swapping out light switches.

Martin
Knowledge

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:51 pm

A disconnected earth can cause similar.
I will check circuit diagram and see if I can expand on my thinking.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Wack » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:01 pm

Make up a test bulb holder or use a multimeter with a buzzer. Connect one end to the red ( high beam) wire the other to earth and the buzzer should work with the switch in that position. If not then the problem has to be the switch or the wire, if it buzzes then the bulb holder must be faulty.
Wack

Postby MK Monty » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:17 pm

did you replace the ignition key switch or the dip/full beam and horn switch
MK Monty

Postby GFSX200 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:15 pm

To answer some of your replies I have not replaced the ignition key switch just the 'button' switch on the handlebar.
I will revisit all the earth connections and go over all of the wiring connections again, I'll also try the multimeter and buzzer trick as suggested.

Thank you all for your time and knowledge!
GFSX200

Postby grandpa » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi
Could be faulty headlight Bulb as knowledge suggests.does the rear light and pilot light work with the headlamp bulb removed.Try a separate length of wire on the metal case of bulb to frame ground to eliminate the bulb holder earthing
Good luck
Grandpa
grandpa

Postby Captain Pugwash » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:39 pm

Have you fixed it yet :) Was it a crossed wire :?:
Captain Pugwash

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:31 pm

Have you got Bilko there helping ? Lol
CHRIS in MARGATE

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3