LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

which speedo?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

which speedo?

Postby dickie » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:03 pm

I'm wondering which speedo I should buy for the lambretta I'm building.

My problem is that I've heard that they are all so inaccurate that if I buy a 70mph one it might go off the end of the scale. Equally I don't want to buy a 90mph one and only use two thirds of the scale.

To give some sort of clue, I have a well set up SR190 stage 5 tuned with an ancillotti silencer, 25mm phbl and varitronic ignition. After it's run in I'll be getting it set up properly on a dyno, so at a guess I'd say 14bhp which probably equates to 65mph ish from what other folk are saying about their top speeds.

Or I could just get a 120mph one and exaggerate to everyone I know :lol:

Recommendations from those with experience please.
dickie

Re: which speedo?

Postby mickey c » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:45 pm

If you've got a few quid spare or a Xmas list and don't mind non original looking, the SIP one I have is really good. Mates following in cars or big bikes indicate the speedo is pretty accurate. Plus the rev counter & head temp are very useful.
mickey c

Postby dickie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:27 pm

come on folks! Someone must know this!

Will the needle go off then end of a decent quality LI series 3 70mph speedo with the fairly limited tune I've got or will it be ok?
dickie

Postby Scooterlam » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:05 pm

If you don't have an idea how fast your bike goes what chance do we have :D
If you have a smart phone download a Speedo app that stores max speed.
Pop it in your pocket, job done.
Don't forget to tell us how fast it didn't go. :D
Scooterlam

Postby MK Monty » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:11 pm

so at a guess I'd say 14bhp which probably equates to 65mph ish from what other folk are saying about their top speeds.
Im sure we all know guys who cruse at 80mph and 100mph down hill. Peaking at 70 or a tad over would be good enough for most. Unless you go digital its all a bit irelavent with a Lammie speedo IMO
MK Monty

Postby Muttleyoo7 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:46 pm

mickey c wrote:If you've got a few quid spare or a Xmas list and don't mind non original looking, the SIP one I have is really good. Mates following in cars or big bikes indicate the speedo is pretty accurate. Plus the rev counter & head temp are very useful.

I fully agree with the above. :D
Muttleyoo7

Postby Knowledge » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:59 pm

Buy the best looking speedo. Strap a Garmin 201 training watch to your handlebars and ignore your tradional speedo.

I have removed the speedo, speedo cable and speedo drive, and rely 100% on the Garmin.
Knowledge

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:46 pm

Knowledge wrote:Buy the best looking speedo. Strap a Garmin 201 training watch to your handlebars and ignore your tradional speedo.

I have removed the speedo, speedo cable and speedo drive, and rely 100% on the Garmin.

^ +1
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Toddy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:32 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:
Knowledge wrote:Buy the best looking speedo. Strap a Garmin 201 training watch to your handlebars and ignore your tradional speedo.

^ +1

+2
Toddy

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3