LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

seat padding?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

seat padding?

Postby DaveTomo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Looking for any ideas for padding for my Giuliari seat. Used the seat for about a month this year but after going to the Isle of Man had to change back to the Ancillotti as it felt my a$$ had collapsed coming back sat on the Giuliari! So have been using the Ancillotti since (which bizarrely I get on fine with),but fancy giving it another go, so is anyone using a decent foam/gel type of thing that fits between the seat cover & the seat frame that gives some respite from the springs in the seat without the seat looking like an over stuffed mattress.
DaveTomo

Re: seat padding?

Postby MK Monty » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:15 am

I could never understand why a standard seat with springs was like sitting an a fence till you look at the springs. The cross spring is so hard and the best part of the seat is at the back. I tried gel pads but the covers I tried all had a thick neoprene type liner to spread the load over the springs, the pad was ineffective though it took some of the vibration out. In the end I welded a bottom to an old frame, I had to bash out an air scoop recess to clear my air scoop and a box at the rear to clear the catch. I started out with 2 very firm composite foam pads about 3 inch thick and a softer 1" foam sheet all shaped with my favorite tool the angle grinder. I have since removed the bulk of the firm pads and gone for the softer foam as it was a bit too firm. I have effectively a standard looking seat that is all foam. It has a standard scoot RS cover and the tabs bend under the normal way. Only drawback is no place to stash water proofs but I dont have a bum like a hot cross bun.
MK Monty

Postby DaveTomo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:31 am

Monty that sounds & looks spot on, do you have any pictures of the seat without the cover on? I've got a spare seat frame -no name on it so I'm assuming a remake -which I could have a go at over the winter months
DaveTomo

Postby MK Monty » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Sorry no pici of the cover off. I had some sheets of the particulate foam cut and 2 softer 1" sheets. After fabricating the bottom and welding it on I glued the first sheet of firm foam on then the 2nd. I was told you can cut it with an electric carving knife but found a wire brush in the angle grinder made a bloody mess in the shed but worked well for rough shaping. Got the general shape then added the last layer of soft. The cover just pulled over as normal. I was originally concerned the bottom edge would squash down and rub the frame and considered replacing the round head rivets with bolts but its fine. it has 2 bolts in the normal position for the strap. I have removed 1 sheet of the firmer foam and added more of the soft as it was a bit too firm.I found the scoop I formed just rubbed the paint on the sir scoop so I took a ball peen hammer and adjusted? it a tad. If you look at the hinge end I had to cut some slots to clear the hinge. It could do with another coat of black paint as the barbi stuff I used is flaking off on the box fitted over the locking mech.
Its a lot comfier than a sprung seat.
MK Monty

Postby DaveTomo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:31 pm

Cheers Monty, appreciate your help & the pictures .Spoke to a mate of mine this evening, hopefully soon the welding will begin :D I'll let you know how I/we get on
DaveTomo

Postby Noddabodder » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:01 pm

Hmmmmm, a Lambretta seat with consideraton actually given to comfort? It'll never catch on...

Seriously though, there's a market for this I would have thought.
Noddabodder

Postby shep65 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:48 am

Thats a brilliant idea, where from and what sort of foam did you use please.
shep65

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3