LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Throttle cable stop

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Throttle cable stop

Postby Revvers » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:00 pm

Hello. I was having trouble with my scoot cutting out when I'd got it back from my local shop. Upon removing the headset I found they had used a bent bolt as a throttle stop!! I was wondering if someone who already has their headset off, could post a photo of the brass cable guide wheel in the headset showing the position of the correct throttle stop pin, and what it rests against? I've looked in Sticky's manual and can't see what I need. Thanks
Revvers

Re: Throttle cable stop

Postby MK Monty » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:42 pm

Not got a pici. The wheel has a larger diameter with a flat face moulded in that hits a stop on the headset at the bottom. If the wheel is not all the way onto the splines virtually hard up against the shaft support it may be missing the stop. No bent bolts needed. All presuming its a brass one and not a plastic GP type with a pin...
MK Monty

Postby rossclark » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:00 am

Plastic gp type not that different , it has a moulded lug that stops against a lump In the under headset
rossclark

Postby Revvers » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Cheers lads. I have a brass wheel. No lug on it! They've either broken it off or lost it. Not impressed either way
Revvers

Postby MK Monty » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Found this pici it may help.
The flat is part of the brass wheel the stop can just be seen but the arrow should point it out. Quite easy to see if someone has broken it off. Make sure the brass wheel is as far onto the shaft as possible or it will miss the stop.
MK Monty

Postby Donnie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:12 pm

Revvers wrote:Cheers lads. I have a brass wheel. No lug on it! They've either broken it off or lost it. Not impressed either way

Medway Scooters?
Donnie

Postby Revvers » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:35 pm

Cheers Monty. Donnie, I'd rather not say!
Revvers

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:24 am

I don't like climbing on the back of "bad press" because you don't always get the full picture sometimes BUT on the facts provided this is OUTRAGEOUS ! and potentially DANGEROUS !

I would be back and give the repairer an opportunity to explain their actions and rectify their apparent bodge up and if no positive actions are forthcoming, then Trading Standards and then don't necessarily "name and shame" but drop a very large hint on the forum as to the town you had it repaired in.

I am guessing you have also parted with hard earned cash for work to be carried out.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Revvers » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:11 pm

Ok so now I know what the problem is.... They've used a gear change guide wheel for the throttle one....Hence no lug as per Monty's photo... Great. Have now got the correct part. I take it, they're straight forward to change???
Revvers

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:16 pm

Very qualified scooter mechanics ....Not !
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Captain Pugwash » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:07 am

It was Once a fairly common modification to use a modified gear wheel/pully as a throttle wheel/pully the idea was to make a quick action throttle by using the larger diameter gear wheel when a large bodied carb like the old 34mm Amals had been fitted.
The standard throttle wheel needed to be wound almost beyond its limit.

IF it was done correctly, it was a usually safe modification.
Captain Pugwash

Postby Revvers » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:04 am

Does the hole for the cable nipple on the control wheel face the rear of the bike, or the front? I've seen photos of both and there's 2 lugs on the wheel!
Revvers

Postby landybretta » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:57 pm

Revvers wrote:Does the hole for the cable nipple on the control wheel face the rear of the bike, or the front? I've seen photos of both and there's 2 lugs on the wheel!

If you look at the picture above posted by MKMonty the hole for the cable should be about where the right arrow is towards the front of the headset with the lug resting against the stop. This should be where the outer cable is routed into the headset. When you open the throttle the wheel rotates from front to rear. I think that the other lug acts as a stop when you fully open the throttle, assuming you have not reached the limit of travel at the carburettor.
landybretta

Postby Revvers » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:45 pm

Brilliant. Thanks all
Revvers

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3