LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Mini Bridge recifier

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Mini Bridge recifier

Postby Jono » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:44 pm

Sometime ago before the new LCGB Revised Forum Site some one very kindly gave me the deails of how to install a DC Battery setup for working a horn and stop light, whilst leaving the rest of the scooter on 12Volt AC.

The system worked great, unforunately I currently do not have the scooter I converted at home and have just installed all the components to convert another scooter. My question is does anyone know which wire connects to the terminals on the bridge rectifier.I know one wire goes to the +terminal and another to the terminal diaganally opposite.
Which terminal is connected to the Battery and which to the voltage controller?

If anyone could help I would be very greatful, otherwise I will just have to wait until my other scooter is returned.
Jono
Jono

Re: Mini Bridge recifier

Postby Captain Pugwash » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:06 pm

It was me

It's a conversion I thought of some years ago with a little help from an electrical guru.

Take a feed from the ac regulator to the negative terminal on the mini bridge rectifier next take a feed from the positive terminal on the mini bridge rectifier to the positive on the battery, next Earth the battery via a fused link.
This gives a charging power to the battery that is half wave rectified.
Take a feed to whatever you want to power from the battery horn, brake light, alarm ,power socket, Rev counter etc.

Before anyone gets confused the dc conversion is for a standard 12v ac stator without the need for any rewiring of the stator. The system is about the cheapest way of obtaining a reliable12v dc supply from a standard system.
Captain Pugwash

Postby Jono » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks Captain Pugwash
Info is just what I needed and will take hard copy for future reference.
From experience of previous conversion it's a great innovation for a simple solution.
DC horn & brake light are a great improvement over the old AC installation achieved at little cost giving safer riding.
Many thanks once again.
Jono
Jono

Postby coaster » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:59 pm

That is the system I was running before going the full DC Wassel route but I'm pretty sure I couldn't earth the battery due to the lighting coils being earthed.....not sure now if this was just following something I was told or through experimenting :? I know I went to the trouble of insulating my spots from the leg shields.
coaster

Postby Captain Pugwash » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:25 pm

coaster wrote:That is the system I was running before going the full DC Wassel route but I'm pretty sure I couldn't earth the battery due to the lighting coils being earthed.....not sure now if this was just following something I was told or through experimenting :? I know I went to the trouble of insulating my spots from the leg shields.

You wired on the opposite side of the rectifier I remember talking you through some of it.
Captain Pugwash

Postby Jono » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Sorry coaster had a problem with system, can only speak as I find . On the Indian GP I converted at the beginning of the year the mini bridge DC system has worked perfectly giving me the best sounding(loud) horn of any of the 4 scooters I have ,
hence converting a second scooter prior to MOT. It's nice to have a horn the does not invoke laughter from all in earshot ( 1mtr away at most) the horns on my scooters in my opinion were a real safety issue.
N. Jono
Jono

Postby coaster » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:07 pm

Captain Pugwash wrote:
coaster wrote:That is the system I was running before going the full DC Wassel route but I'm pretty sure I couldn't earth the battery due to the lighting coils being earthed.....not sure now if this was just following something I was told or through experimenting :? I know I went to the trouble of insulating my spots from the leg shields.

You wired on the opposite side of the rectifier I remember talking you through some of it.

You could well be right, I moved on to the full DC with the Wassel and will be unlikely to chage (unless perhaps for a 3 phase system) for the added safety feature of having lights that stay on when the engine cuts.
coaster

Postby Captain Pugwash » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:29 pm

coaster wrote:
Captain Pugwash wrote:

You could well be right, I moved on to the full DC with the Wassel and will be unlikely to chage (unless perhaps for a 3 phase system) for the added safety feature of having lights that stay on when the engine cuts.

The full dc system is better in many ways, but the simplicity of the standard stator with a £3 add on is cheap and very reliable.

You mention a three phase system, someone I know runs a three phase stator through a ducati 6 pole stator. It's a clever bit of re-wiring.
Captain Pugwash

Postby coaster » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:43 pm

I was thinking about the Elextrex? System which I 'think' is a 3 phase but could be wrong, I'd be interested in hearing more about your mate's setup 8-)
Colin
coaster

Postby Marty ULC » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:58 am

Is there any reason for both the horn and stoplight being DC? I'm toying with the idea of a dc horn but my brake light is bright enough already, already have a trickle feed to a small 12v battery so I'm assuming it's a case of simply running a wire up to the horn?
Marty ULC

Postby Captain Pugwash » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:38 pm

Marty ULC wrote:Is there any reason for both the horn and stoplight being DC? I'm toying with the idea of a dc horn but my brake light is bright enough already, already have a trickle feed to a small 12v battery so I'm assuming it's a case of simply running a wire up to the horn?

I wire it with the brake light on dc as its a seperate circuit that's very easy to wire into the added dc circuit and as it stops the headlight dimming momentarily when the brake is pressed on a standard 12V ac set up I think its an added safety thing. it also allows some of the charge in the battery to be used up extending the batteries life.
Captain Pugwash

Postby JETEX » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:23 am

Does the bridge rectifier include a regulator ?
JETEX

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3