LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Indian electronic loom conundrum

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Indian electronic loom conundrum

Postby Gino_Lamberto » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:06 am

Morning forum people, I am hoping you will be able to help me out with a wiring related issue I have. I brought an Indian 12v electronic ignition kit to stick on my scooter over the autumn/winter, but as things pan out I have only just managed to get around to starting the job, which I read was to be pretty straightforward ? Anyhow the issue is this, the supplied loom seems to be made up of coloured wires that do not match anty wiring diagrams I can find on the web and you guessed it, the kit was supplied without a wiring diagram :(

If I post up a picture of the offending article you kind people maybe able to throw some light on what goes where ? The fact that there seems to be different connectors on the wires may help ?

Regards

Andy
Gino_Lamberto

Re: Indian electronic loom conundrum

Postby Nobby » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:37 am

Post a pic of the stats and where/what the wires come out of , shouldn't be to difficult ....
Nobby

Postby Gino_Lamberto » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:46 pm

I will elaborate more when I have got back from work today, but this is a picture of the loom anyway
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gino_Lamberto

Postby Gino_Lamberto » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:48 pm

Here are the other components of the 12v kit - hopefully they may to identify where the wires go ?

Gino_Lamberto

Postby Wack » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:47 pm

Not seen a loom like that before, without it laid out in front of me it's hard to tell how to wire it up. Why not buy a new simplified electronic loom from Beedspeed or MB ? be a lot easier to understand. Also order a length of HT lead and plug cap as the Vespa one on will be too short.
Wack

Postby MK Monty » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Love the way people sell things like stators with connectors that wont fit on a lambretta.
Anyway
Find the end of the loom you should have a pink and a black with bullet connectors that feed your tail light ( Black) and stop light pink.
Very close along the loom it should have a brown and a green coming out of the main loom. The green goes to the green on the CDI (Blue thingy) with a spade connection. You have 2 green connections on the CDI. it doesn't matter which one you use. While we are on CDI Your stator has a red white and green with bullet connections. They need replacing with spades and connecting to the red white and the other green on the CDI. The bike should now start though you wont be able to stop it so be carefull. Dont forget the yellow earth on the CDI bolt it under one of the mounting bolts when you fix it to the frame.
Your regulator the aluminium box has 3 connections The last yellow from the stator and the brown from the loom connect to the 2 spades next to each other the separated one needs a short wire and again earth it to one of the mounting points.
Moving down the loom you should have a brown and pink that will go to the brake light switch
That should bring you up to the headset end.
Basically you will have a connection block if its a series 1 or 2 or a lamp socket. everything should be colour coded. Whites are earths so things like your sidelight festoon will have a colour (Yellow?)on one end and white on the other, make a good ground to one of the gear change support bolts.
all your browns together, all the blacks, red and blue to the headlight dip and main beam, orange? speedo. 2 greens 1 from the new loom and 1 to the kill switch or key switch if you have it.You only have 3 connections from the loom Black rear light Brown feed in and Green Kill switch. Your lightswitch has a number of wires but just plug them in to matching colours. If you have a key switch it gets more complicated as a lot of the remakes use any colour wire they can find.
The new simplified loom only has 1 feed (brown) coming from the back end. You have 2 feeds Brown and Purple at the headset so you may need to make a small jumper to connect the brown and purple areas of the connection block together. or not everything will work.
Good Luck you may have to mix and match the various drawings depending on what you have at the headset end. to be honest the loom is the easy bit
MK Monty

Postby Gino_Lamberto » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:57 am

Brilliant !!! thanks for taking the time to reply and help me out - much appreciated :D

I will post up a few photos if I get chance as I do the job, you point out then where I am going wrong haha.

The motor is out of the frame at the moment as I am just putting the old girl back together, after I give her a respray etc so it's good to know which way round the loom goes so I can fit it in temporary as I do the rebuild. ;)

regards

Andy
Gino_Lamberto

Postby MK Monty » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:11 am

I forgot the horne. I dont see it on your loom must it may be coming from your light switch loom wires. all the short ones connect to the lamp base you should have 2 longer ones brown and white that go down to your duck quacker.
If you havent got it get a stickys bible.
I am presuming from your pici that its a series 3 special so you will have a key ignition switch and simplified light switch dip full beam and horne. was it 6V and you are going 12 with your new stator if so dont forget a full set of bulbs.
Step by step and enjoy it.
MK Monty

Postby Gino_Lamberto » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:47 am

Cheers for that MK Monty I will check after work and make a mental note.

When I first got my scoot (Li125 special 6v) it was a none runner with no wiring, I kept as many of the original usuable parts that I could and others I had to replace, I only hope now that the replacement components I brought are compatible with the 12v system when eventually up and running.

I will for reference post up the pics of my front end wiring - hopefully I have in my wisdom brought the correct replacements for what was missing.

Regards

Andy
Gino_Lamberto

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3