LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

stator plate 12v

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

stator plate 12v

Postby garynonnah » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:47 pm

HI all.....thinking of changing my stator plate ...upgrade... i have a sil one fitted, so what would be best one?
garynonnah

Re: stator plate 12v

Postby Knowledge » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:08 pm

If you have a 12v electronic stator plate and it works, why change it?

In my book, there are only two types of 12v electronic stators: those that work and those that don't.

If you want to buy another one, buy it as a spare, test it and then pop it in the tool box with your flywheel holder and extractor.

Where you considering an upgrade that I have missed?
Knowledge

Postby MickYork » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:42 am

Other than cheap Indian, decent SIL, AF or BGM i can't think of any others unless you're going down the Varitronic type route...
MickYork

Postby gaz_powell » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:48 am

Fully agree with Martin here - stick with SIL

I only run genuine SIL stators on my 3 bikes

have a couple of spares that i have picked up when people have "upgraded" ...... all tested out okay.
gaz_powell

Postby Adam_Winstone » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:38 am

Each to their own, and I do know of some Indian stators (SIL and/or aftermarket) that have served people well, however, I've just been donated another 2 dead Indian stators as a thanks for strobing a pal's new BGM replacement. In both cases, the LT coil of the Indian stators had failed (not even on revvy motors). :(

Thankfully, as a result of Indian LT coils failing so regularly, each of my bikes now has a repaired Indian stator as a spare :)

BGM stators might not be bullet-proof but most of my pals that do serious miles (Euro Lambrettas, etc.) have gone to BGM after repeated failures of the Indian stators. It should be noted that those that have repaired Indian stators with decent LT coils have had excellent service from them (every bit as good as BGM or Italian). Only in one case have I been asked to replace an Indian stator because of lighting failure, which turned out to be a lighting coil earthing out on the stator plate base, which in turn was fixed with a little TLC.

There are many perfectly good Indian stators out there but they would not be my first choice on a bike that I wanted to clock up a lot of miles on.

Adam

PS - I do know of people having the odd issue with BGM stators too... but these are far fewer by %
Adam_Winstone

Postby coaster » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:52 pm

To add to Adam's comments, the BGM also has a slightly higher lighting output which can be beneficial in some cases
coaster

Postby garynonnah » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:43 pm

ok....lots of info thanks guys, eventually when project complete will.....let ya know :D
garynonnah

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3