LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Early Series 2 rear sprocket

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Early Series 2 rear sprocket

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Bit similar to the thread about the weak earlier pacemaker box, but this refers to the earlier clutch bell in Series 1 and 2.

Will be selling my Li 150 Series 2 next Spring, so I'm putting the original engine back in, which has been sat in my garage for the last 5 years. Because I'm that kinda fella, I've stripped the engine down to upgrade it to 12v electronic with a spare GP200 crank, plus replace the main oils seals and anything else that could spoil a sale.

However, when it came to the clutch, it has the old style rear sprocket with a cush type of sprung base, see photo. Stickys book says that these are weak and should be replaced. I can understand that may be true for tuned engines, but in reality and for a standard 150 engine has anyone experienced failures.

Paulnobodyimportant

Re: Early Series 2 rear sprocket

Postby Wack » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:06 pm

I've only seen one broken and that was in a Rapido225. Check the springs and rivets look ok and reuse, you could always advise the buyer to upgrade if a powerful kit is fitted in the future.
Wack

Postby Donnie » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:58 pm

I have one in a tuned 175 engine I've just stripped for the gearbox, I'd be more than happy to re use it in said engine, but not in the proposed GT engine Im using the gearbox for.
Donnie

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:36 pm

Well thanks for the replies and confirming that it will still be OK for a standard engine. And if someone wants to put an Imola or GT kit on then they would need to upgrade the clutch anyway. Although I'm still running a standard 4 plate clutch in my 225 Monza with no issues.
Paulnobodyimportant

Postby Donnie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:13 am

Im planning a standard 4 plate im my GT kit personally :-)
Donnie

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3