LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Are floor runners needed for MOT?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Are floor runners needed for MOT?

Postby Fat Trucker » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:17 pm

As the title says, do you need floor runners on legshield and rear runners to pass MOT?
cheers ove.
Fat Trucker

Re: Are floor runners needed for MOT?

Postby Sticky » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:04 pm

No, otherwise my choppers would never have passed.

You do need to make sure that there are no sharp protrusions though

Postby St George » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:35 pm

The rules say that you should have fixed footrests not floorboards. They can be folding like big Jap bikes, as long as they are fitted it will pass ? Hope this helps.
Merry Xmas Colin
St George

Postby Sticky » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:45 pm

St George wrote:The rules say that you should have fixed footrests not floorboards. They can be folding like big Jap bikes, as long as they are fitted it will pass ? Hope this helps.
Merry Xmas Colin

That must be for the rider, and legshields cover that requirement. I think it would be a fussy MoT tester who required footpegs to be fitted for a pillion. Never known any testers to make that requirement.

Postby monument7 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:46 pm

The rules say that you should have fixed footrests not floorboards. They can be folding like big Jap bikes, as long as they are fitted it will pass ? Hope this helps.
I though this was just for the pillion but probably wrong
monument7

Postby Scooterlam » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:57 pm

should the lack of rear pegs/ runners lead the tester to list the number of seats as one.

I'm, Sure Shaun will clarify .
Scooterlam

Postby HxPaul » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:59 pm

St George wrote:The rules say that you should have fixed footrests not floorboards. They can be folding like big Jap bikes, as long as they are fitted it will pass ? Hope this helps.
Merry Xmas Colin

The rules make no mention of floorboards,only that the motorcycle should have footrests for the rider and passenger ( if the motorcycle has a passenger seat ) and that these footrests should be securely attached to the motorcycle.
HxPaul

Postby Knowledge » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:42 am

When I needed an MoT for an unregistered scooter, I took it to the MoT station without any panels or legshields, two bits of MDF screwed to the legshield struts and a temporary back light.

It passed.
Knowledge

Postby Fat Trucker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:38 am

Cheers for all replies, that makes it easier for me.
ove.
Fat Trucker

Postby Shaun » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:37 am

I know you are sorted now, but deffo NO on runners.

I will pass a scooter with no legshields as well, as the struts make a good foot rest.
The ends of the struts have sharp edges, but as not caused by 'accident damage or corrosion' these are also a pass.
Some testers can get their head up their arses though :-/
(although, there is no proper reason for rejection on sharp edges in the motorcycle test).
"Any fracture, damage, distortion, or corrosion in the motor bicycle or side car structure to the extent that control of the machine is likely to be adversely affected "

As for rear boards, that depends on the seat and the tester.
2/dual seat means that rear footrests/pegs are required, but if you leave the little supports for the floorboards on
you could argue that they are foot rests, I would pass and advise on these.

Also they added this bit to allow for modern mopeds:

" Reason for Rejection Pillion foot rests are not required on motor bicycles that only have a single seat. In addition some motor bicycles used on or after 14 June 1993, which are intended to carry a passenger may not be fitted with footrests but with hand holds attached to the motor bicycles frame adjacent to, or part of the seat. Refer to manufacturers information eg owners handbook."
Shaun

Postby Fat Trucker » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:01 am

Thanks for that shaun, very good answer.
ove
Fat Trucker

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3