LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Chain too slack (video)

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Chain too slack (video)

Postby bolzenanker » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi

Just doing a few jobs on my ratter, bearings, sliding dog and clutch renewal and before I pulled it all apart took this video clip. Poor quality video, but would appreciate opinions on my chain slackness. I think it may be too slack but what do you think?

Thanks in advance

Warren

bolzenanker

Re: Chain too slack (video)

Postby Wack » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:54 pm

I tend to turn the front sprocket in the direction of travel whilst holding the clutch , this will take the slack out of the bottom run then check the slack at the upper run.
Wack

Postby dickie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:37 pm

Way too slack mate. Get the bottom run tight like wack says then you should have about 6-10mm in the short run from the 'tensioner' to the top of the front sprocket.

Basically, the chain should be as tight as possible without stressing the tensioner or either of the sprockets.
dickie

Postby bolzenanker » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:56 pm

Thanks Wack, thanks dickie, your help is much appreciated. I'll use your advice on rebuild.

:D
bolzenanker

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:31 am

I lift and measure mine at the top just forward of the top guide and I use the "blunt" end of a plastic chopstick. Perfect measuring tool !
CHRIS in MARGATE

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3