LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Varitronic question?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Varitronic question?

Postby Cheersdude » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:06 am

Not sure I've wired this right as I've misplaced my workshop manual. It's the dc supply, there are 2 cables from the stator, one is dc supply and one is battery supply.
I'm running all the lights, speedo, horn etc from the dc supply and also have a battery back up,so I can use a12v outlet without having the engine running. Which at the moment is connected with the dc supply. But should the battery be connected to the battery supply only?.if so would the 12v outlet still be live without the engine running?
Cheersdude

Re: Varitronic question?

Postby Wack » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:42 am

Not really sure what you mean but the white/red wire from the stator is AC that is then converted to DC by the regulator to trickle charge the battery. I think if you powered everything from the battery it would soon go flat, I just run the horn , digi speedo and EGT off the battery. There is probably a diode in the reg to stop reverse flow thru the battery when the engine is off.
Wack

Postby Donnie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:09 pm

aye, if you are planning on running everything with the varitronic via dc even with a battery you're going to be disappointed :-(
Donnie

Postby Cheersdude » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Ok I maybe reading it wrong, but I do have a bgm wiring diagram. On that the yellow/white goes to the bgm reg/rectifier and the red/white is the battery feed.
At the moment I have all the electrics and battery supplied from the dc output from the bgm reg/rectifier. And nothing connected to the red/white.
So what I need to know is if I connected the battery to the red/white only, will it back feed when the engine is not running and supply the 12v outlet and alarm ?

Only fitted the engine in last night and when running everything seemed to work ok, though light did dim slightly at low revs
Cheersdude

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3