LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Drilling front wheel

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Drilling front wheel

Postby jonno » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:43 am

I want to lighten the front wheel of my sprinter and have seen front hubs drilled with holes.I was wondering how far I could go and if it really made much difference,a handful of ali shavings doesn't weigh a a lot.
jonno

Re: Drilling front wheel

Postby jonno » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:00 pm

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic107147 Guess you can go pretty far with removing the ali
jonno

Postby Knowledge » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:56 pm

You might do better to fit one of those Ali rims instead. There is probably more weight to be lost here.

However, there are other routes. Frank Osgerby's sprinter used a wheel from a small Garelli moped, while Keith Terry's scooter featured J range forks and wheel. Perhaps you need to think outside the box.

Good luck.
Knowledge

Postby coaster » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:30 am

jonno wrote:I want to lighten the front wheel of my sprinter and have seen front hubs drilled with holes.I was wondering how far I could go and if it really made much difference,a handful of ali shavings doesn't weigh a a lot.

It's all about reducing rotating mass that requires energy to turn it rather than the dead weight ;)
coaster

Postby jonno » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:42 am

I have j range forks and front wheel fitted,couldn't source a moped wheel.Think I'll go gentle with the holes.
jonno

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3