LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Recognize this Exhaust?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Recognize this Exhaust?

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:31 pm

This Christmas break I intended to do a stock take of all the bits that I've collected over the last 8 years. At the time, I bought things from fairs and friends, whether I needed them or not. Reason for stock take is that I've forgotten what I have got and frequently buy a part that I already have. Furthermore, I keep saving broken bits; don't know why, just keep thinking that it may come in useful in the future, so finally binning these.

Anyway, like all good intentions, only started cataloguing things yesterday and I keep looking at the exhaust below that came free with a Li150 back in 2008.

Now I appreciate that its more bling than functional, but does anyone have experience of this exhaust. My intention is to put it on a Series 2 Li that I will be selling in Spring. But in respect of performance, will it be the same as a bog standard series 2 exhaust or will it be worse.

Paulnobodyimportant

Re: Recognize this Exhaust?

Postby Scooter Paul » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:37 pm

Looks to me like a lot of so called sports pipes from the sixties that often were painted red but with chrome tailpipes. Performance about the same as standard series 2 but we thought we were going faster because of the noise! The fact that it has a BS stamp may help a more knowledgeable member.

Paul
Scooter Paul

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:13 pm

IMHO ...slower. In the day they "sounded" faster in built up areas but from personal experience a performance limiter. Probably why somebody was selling it !
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Scooter Paul » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:41 pm

One reason scoots went faster with this sort of 'silencer' was that the original was so coked up anything would have been an improvement.

Paul
Scooter Paul

Postby roli150lam » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:36 pm

Scooter Paul wrote:Looks to me like a lot of so called sports pipes from the sixties that often were painted red but with chrome tailpipes. Performance about the same as standard series 2 but we thought we were going faster because of the noise! The fact that it has a BS stamp may help a more knowledgeable member.

Paul

I had one as Paul describes on my S2 back in the sixties, and like Scooter Paul says I thought I was going faster!!
roli150lam

Postby grumpar » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:54 pm

wasn't it called a tin can exhaust :?: ive got one in my garage only mines black and stainless steel never used it tho . yours looks like stainless so probably quite new if it is
grumpar

Postby grumpar » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:00 pm

Its legal anyway :D :D :D

The Motor Cycle Silencer and Exhaust Systems Regulations 1995 incorporating Motorcycle Noise Act 1987 Euro Law: 78/1015/EEC(1) as amended by Council Directive 87/56/EEC(2) and Council Directive 89/235/EEC(3);

If you ride a motorcycle manufactured after 1st April 1983 in the UK, then the exhaust system attached to it must comply with the 1995 Regulations.
The law applies to both Exhaust System and Silencers.
It only applies to systems marked for road use.
All systems and silencers must conform to one of:
BS AU 193/T2
BS AU 193a: 1990/T2
BS AU 193a: 1990/T3
grumpar

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3