LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Indian Smiths speedo - early impression

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Indian Smiths speedo - early impression

Postby gaz_powell » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:19 pm

Fitted an indian smiths repo speedo to my my new S2 - speedo cost was about £12 delivered from India.

Spent a lot of time getting a metal work/drive (ebay purchase) meshed in the hub (grinding paste etc - which is an important factor in any speedo)and got a threaded conversion to use standard lambretta cable. I turned the ali ring at work from a solid piece (cheap of ebay) £20 quid to bore and weld the ring.

The action ofthe needle is lovely and smooth on accelaration - only took it to about 45 at present round the block but i was impressed by smooth action going up and down.

Acurracy ..... who knows i ve done no re calibration (to 10" wheel) and to be honest i wont as the cost will outweigh the outlay- i`ll get someone to follow me in a car + ive got a rev counter to fit - to get an idea of what is 30/40/50 then after that who cares !

Early indications are good and the needle going right to left in a circular motion is novel ...... will update after a long run.

Mind just in case i have a stanard speedo headset top painted ready to bolt on if need be

gaz
gaz_powell

Re: Indian Smiths speedo - early impression

Postby Knowledge » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:27 pm

Super-tidy. Good work.
Knowledge

Postby gaz_powell » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:35 pm

Currently working as SX one but it needs the fork clamp modifying to accomodate the cable routing where as the S2 didnt

Decided to leave the weld on this one when i done it

bit have now changed my mind and will get it blended in ......back to the painter.
gaz_powell

Postby Revvers » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:26 pm

Seen these on eBay. Could you explain a bit more about getting the drive cable to work in the hub please? I've seen them also supplied with a cable and wondered if this could be adapted? (I've emailed the seller, who seems to be a uk scooter shop, but haven't received a reply yet)
Revvers

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:16 pm

I had one on the S Type for a very short while until it stopped working. I think it was down to the angle of cable entry which wasn't perfect.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby gaz_powell » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Revvers - dont use the one that is supplied buy a one without a cable.
I used a standard lambretta cable with an adaptor at speedo end with the s2 - so no issues (Tim Mason supplies them)
The S2 went very easy and smooth with cable routing - the same way as standard down the forks

Rich - Same issue with the sx at present - the angle is not right and stressing the cable when trying to get in the fork tube - some work to be done to get it right currently i`m looking to drill a hole/slot or in the clamp to get a decent sweep.

At the hub end i use metal drive worm and spend a lot of time get them set up which only helps whatever speedo choice.

Gaz
gaz_powell

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3