LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

sil gp engine

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

sil gp engine

Postby bluelamb69 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:47 am

Advice needed please, did a few posts about problem with my SIL GP200 which only has 150 miles from new and had a problem when accelerating like it was jumping out of gear, after deciding to take chain case cover off i found the front sprocket bolt was loose and sprocket had worn the chain case but not enough to come through. Would like a bit of advice, if after only 150 miles the bolt came loose , what else could happen ? is a rebuild on the cards ?
bluelamb69

Re: sil gp engine

Postby Toddy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:23 am

bluelamb69 wrote:Advice needed please, did a few posts about problem with my SIL GP200 which only has 150 miles from new and had a problem when accelerating like it was jumping out of gear, after deciding to take chain case cover off i found the front sprocket bolt was loose and sprocket had worn the chain case but not enough to come through. Would like a bit of advice, if after only 150 miles the bolt came loose , what else could happen ? is a rebuild on the cards ?

Was the engine checked before you bought/ fitted ? There are good and bad stories regarding SIL engines if it was mine I would strip for a thorough inspection , better to be safe than sorry .
Toddy

Postby MickYork » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:36 am

If you've got chaincase side off why stop there. for piece of mind i'd take the layshaft out and check everything. An afternoons work and job done.
MickYork

Postby bluelamb69 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:38 am

The scoot had sat in for a long time before before being registered and put on the road, so engine would,nt of been checked over, i,m only the second owner. Probably worth checking it but how far would you go, and then you start thinking what could be improved, such as new bearings, if it,s sat for so long.
bluelamb69

Postby MickYork » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:03 pm

Where and how often do you intend riding it ? If it's the occasional sunday rideout and an evening into the country I wouldn't do as much as if I was doing the long haul rallies every other week.

I've got a Rapido kitted SIL engine and the only thing I did was uprate the main crank bearing and change the clutch springs. saying that the stator broke in the first 10 miles so that got replaced with a BGM. The bearings and the rest of the engine have done a few thousand miles with no problems, but I haven't used it for long haul rallies only local (50 mile).
MickYork

Postby bluelamb69 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:16 pm

Not planning any long haul journeys, but would be good to have a reliable engine for the odd trip down to the lakes, did you stick to the jettex carb or change it as i have a bit of trouble with it flooding , have done the usual checks.
bluelamb69

Postby MickYork » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:27 pm

Got rid of the Jetex after holing a piston. Fitted a 28mm PHBH Dellorto.
MickYork

Postby bluelamb69 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 pm

cheers, was thinking of changing instead of wasting more time with jettex
bluelamb69

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3