LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Spongey front brake

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Spongey front brake

Postby dickie » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:49 pm

Folks,

I don't know if I'm expecting too much of my old shopping bike, but I've just finished putting the front (drum) brake together.

The drum etc on it's own is fine, but when I hooked up the cable and lever I'm disappointed in the lever action, in that it doesn't spring back to the bar nicely. It's alos little spongey, but I think that's inevitable with a cable route like that and such a small diameter cable.

I have teflon (or nylon) lined cables and I don't usually lubricate these as I believe it just holds grit etc. Am I wrong? should I lube my cable inners? I know this won't alleviate sponginess, but it may help the lever return to the bar a little better.

All components are new or reconditioned. All shimmed up and greased where necessary; the problem is purely in the lever and/or cable.
dickie

Re: Spongey front brake

Postby Wack » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Unhook the adjuster at the bottom then work the inner and h/ bar lever back and forth. It should feel taught and no roughness , also check the headset top hasn't trapped the cable when tightened down. A thicker inner cable also gives a firmer feel.
Wack

Postby pirate pete » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:12 pm

I use the cycle cable lubricant from Halfords. Its specifically designed for use with lined cables. It is PTFE In liquid form. Top quality and highly recommended. I wouldn't fit a cable with using it.
pirate pete

Postby dickie » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:35 pm

Wack wrote:Unhook the adjuster at the bottom then work the inner and h/ bar lever back and forth. It should feel taught and no roughness , also check the headset top hasn't trapped the cable when tightened down. A thicker inner cable also gives a firmer feel.

It's silky smooth, no problem at the hub end of things, but I'm interested in a thicker cable. Where do I get one?
dickie

Postby dickie » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:36 pm

pirate pete wrote:I use the cycle cable lubricant from Halfords. Its specifically designed for use with lined cables. It is PTFE In liquid form. Top quality and highly recommended. I wouldn't fit a cable with using it.

Thanks Pete, I'll try that.
dickie

Postby HxPaul » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:46 pm

SR do a thicker cable to fit the inboard disc brake,but I think it will fit a drum brake as well.
HxPaul

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3