LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Disc Brake Refurb

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Disc Brake Refurb

Postby Lightybob » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi, I am refurbishing an original SX 200 Front disk Brake for my Scooter, I have read somewhere that an improvement in performance can be made by drilling out the holes on the actual disk with a 13/32 drill bit, this apparently improves the braking by allowing the disc to float giving better -improved braking, unfortunately i am struggling to find the article, I think it was an old magazine, possibly Scootering World. Does any body have any advice or guidance.

Thanks David
Lightybob

Re: Disc Brake Refurb

Postby rossclark » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:57 pm

You'll find that in the old Home Workshop manual, possibly also in the Tuning and Performance book if I remember right.

It just allows a little extra clearance to allow the disk to float a bit more, you can also remove the circlip, but sometimes that makes it rattle ...
rossclark

Postby nickw » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:59 pm

I've read that article too it might have been in Dave Webster's tuning manual. I prefer to clean up the three pins with emery paper and also the holes with the same stuff. I also very lightly smear the pins with copper grease. Always had good results. I'd be worried about making the holes eccentric if I were to drill them as I'm not an engineer!

^ thought it was that manual
nickw

Postby Captain Pugwash » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:22 pm

I have used a reamer in a drill to enlarge the holes, I think its easier to use than a drill bit if your opening out the holes in the disc.
removing the circlip does help, as well as lubing the pins with a very thin smear of copperslip, don't put too much on or it will fling out onto the disc itself and that will make the brake not so good.

Keep everything clean, try not to touch the face of the disc or the braking surface of the pads with your fingers when you reassemble.
Captain Pugwash

Postby DaveTomo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:28 pm

As above ^ and it is that book :)

DaveTomo

Postby pirate pete » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Its in Stickys' book too, page 201.Pete.
pirate pete

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3