LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Squint Front Wheel

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Squint Front Wheel

Postby Granty » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:38 pm

Guys -- before I get into the guts of this any ideas on why my front wheel seems to be lying squint leaning over to the left at the top -- I've replaced springs, rubbers, top hats and pins & its still the same? Anyone seen this or had this before?

I guess I'll start putting a different hub in & then do a re-strip to see if the top hats are the same distance up inside the forks? Am I on the right track?

Photos at https://www.facebook.com/grant.mckelvey ... 4798991205

Cheers for the help boys & girls & have a good day all - G
Last edited by Granty on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Granty

Re: Squint vront Wheel

Postby grumpar » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:59 pm

I had this changed everything as you have ended up having forks jigged they were out of line. Apparently common problem i was told
grumpar

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:00 pm

I had this once when I'd had Indian fork links welded for damper mounts. The welding had warped the links. It was only noticeable when you took the links out and held them side by side.
Storkfoot

Postby Toddy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:45 am

Before you rebuilt the forks did you get all the old top hats/ fork stops out sometimes they are stuck in and hard to remove this would cause a similar issue to what you have
Toddy

Postby Granty » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:09 am

Toddy wrote:Before you rebuilt the forks did you get all the old top hats/ fork stops out sometimes they are stuck in and hard to remove this would cause a similar issue to what you have

Hi Toddy -- yes buddy -- I got the old top hats out & fitted new ones -- it maybe as simple as the right hand top hat is sitting higher inside the fork then the left & therefore the link at the bottom sitting higher, even if its just a mm out at the bottom by the time you get to the top of the wheel it could mean its out a good 3 - 5 mm?

Does this sound logical before I go down the route of getting the forks jigged?

Thanks for all the help fella's -- appreciated - G
Granty

Re: Squint Front Wheel

Postby rossclark » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:07 pm

You're going to have to take them out if you're thinking of getting them jigged so you'll be able to check the stop depths with the springs out and the spring lengths.

I hope that's all it is as a couple of washers might sort it.
rossclark

Postby grumpar » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:11 pm

I found that adding washers din't help because when the wheel is fit the spindle washers lock into the link recesses and pull it all back to were it wants all it dose is compress the spring with the washers more . The spindle determines the final position Hope this makes sense
grumpar

Postby Granty » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:47 pm

grumpar wrote:I found that adding washers din't help because when the wheel is fit the spindle washers lock into the link recesses and pull it all back to were it wants all it dose is compress the spring with the washers more . The spindle determines the final position Hope this makes sense

Yes -- it makes complete sense -- looks like a jig then I guess. :(
Granty

Postby Dazts1 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:01 am

A freind just had the same issue. Rebuilt with mb links and internals. The forks , new Indian were at fault. In fact a mile out.
Dazts1

Postby Granty » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:42 am

Dazts1 wrote:A freind just had the same issue. Rebuilt with mb links and internals. The forks , new Indian were at fault. In fact a mile out.

Aye -- mine were rebuilt with all good quality parts too -- done a basic measure test last night & it looks like the right hand fork is sitting higher then the left which would throw the wheel over to the left ---- ah well onwards & upwards I guess - G
Granty

Postby Marty ULC » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:28 pm

You haven't got a thick rebound rubber on one side and a thin one on the other?
Marty ULC

Postby Granty » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:42 pm

Marty ULC wrote:You haven't got a thick rebound rubber on one side and a thin one on the other?

Definitely not Marty -- Ive sent a couple of photo's to the Jig shop & it looks to the expert eye that one fork is slightly out of line -- so jig it is mate - G
Granty

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3