LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Gear change handle bar.

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Gear change handle bar.

Postby Geocamper » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:43 pm

Lambretta had new gear and throttle cables a couple of weeks ago. Everything lined up nicely and gear changing was nice and tight. Done about 30 miles and the gear change became a bit sloppy. Back it went to the garage and they re adjusted the cables. Done about 50-100 miles and the gearing has become sloppy again. This is the reason I had the previous cables changed as I thought they were at the end of their so called use by date and it would eliminate this problem I have. The garage has changed parts inside the handle bar which could cause this sloppiness problem. Also while at traffic lights this morning about 20 miles into a ride the scooter was moving forward when the gear lever was held in and under a little bit of throttle. The model in question is a series 2 tv175. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Geocamper

Re: Gear change handle bar.

Postby missing lynx » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:00 pm

check the adjusters lock nut is tight if not they will just keep unadjusting them selves also try to squeeze the bottom ends of the cables together there should be very little movement if the cables are tight try moving the handle bar end if that moves but the bottom end doesn't it's the conecting rod in the handle bars if it move's both ends check the pinch bolt on the gear selector is tight. the creeping is probably the clutch cable just need's adjusting
missing lynx

Re: Gear change handle bar.

Postby HxPaul » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:11 pm

Geocamper wrote:Lambretta had new gear and throttle cables a couple of weeks ago. Everything lined up nicely and gear changing was nice and tight. Done about 30 miles and the gear change became a bit sloppy. Back it went to the garage and they re adjusted the cables. Done about 50-100 miles and the gearing has become sloppy again. This is the reason I had the previous cables changed as I thought they were at the end of their so called use by date and it would eliminate this problem I have. The garage has changed parts inside the handle bar which could cause this sloppiness problem. Also while at traffic lights this morning about 20 miles into a ride the scooter was moving forward when the gear lever was held in and under a little bit of throttle. The model in question is a series 2 tv175. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

If the headset fork clamp has been powder coated,sometimes the outer cables dont seat properly and when used they can slowly become seated through the tension of the inner cable causing those symptoms.
HxPaul

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3