LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

BGM stator query

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: BGM stator query

Postby soullad » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:56 pm

There's also the different quoted output variations to contend with re. Lighting coil resistance values. Some stators quote an output of 80 w , some 120 watt, Indian stators, af, original Ducati etc, all with different number of windings per coil and so different resistance values. Agree all would be low anyway. As Nelly States, the key is to spot the 0 value readings as this would normally indicate a faulty coil.
As for the lower BGM stators, maybe they were just being cautious, allowing for additional clearance so they fitted all combinations of flywheels / flywheel tapers out there. The cynics might say that they are planning world Lambretta ignition domination ensuring only their stator works with their flywheel, but I doubt it.
Heat, vibration, clumsy mechanics etc all play havoc with stator plates..... Luckily things Lambretta engines never experience :lol:
soullad

Postby Angry Bloke » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:22 pm

soullad wrote:The cynics might say that they are planning world Lambretta ignition domination ensuring only their stator works with their flywheel, but I doubt it.

On behalf of the cynics I purchased a BGM flywheel assuming a match with a BGM stator , which it does .

However I still had to extend the slots significantly to achieve timing of 17 deg - a trick missed I'm afraid :roll:
Last edited by Angry Bloke on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angry Bloke

Postby Toddy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:09 pm

Angry Bloke wrote:
soullad wrote:The cynics might say that they are planning world Lambretta ignition domination ensuring only their stator works with their flywheel, but I doubt it.

On behalf of the cynics I purchased a BGM flywheel assuming a match with a BGM flywheel , which it does .

However I still had to extend the slots significantly to achieve timing of 17 deg - a trick missed I'm afraid :roll:

Agree with the slotting on the BGM stators I've had to slot a couple , I also see the 12v dc stators have an extra black wire on I take it this is an earth ?
Toddy

Postby Angry Bloke » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:39 pm

Toddy wrote: I also see the 12v dc stators have an extra black wire on I take it this is an earth ?

Yes I believe so :D
Angry Bloke

Postby Dimitrios_231 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:47 am

BGM flywheel has a 'hidden' trigger.

SIL top,BGM bottom

3 different pickups,all the same height.

Left BGM stator with Italian pickup,centre SIL stator,right latest DC BGM stator.

Dimitrios_231

Postby Steve J » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:55 am

My experience of fitting a BGM stator a few years ago is that the clearance between the plastic coil formers (the things the wires are wound onto) and the rear face of the flywheel (SIL) can be very small. This is due to the BGM flywheels having more laminations in the stack for the oversize lighting coils, in order to generate more electrical power. It would make sense to machine material from the rear of the alloy stator plate to increase the clearance, as long as extra spacers are added under the pickup coil. If I remember correctly, I had to remove a lamination or two under the pickup to get mine to align correctly with the flywheel trigger pole pieces. As I said, it was several years ago, and the design may well have changed since then!
Steve J

Postby Eden » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Dimitrios_231 wrote:
3 different pickups,all the same height.

Left BGM stator with Italian pickup,centre SIL stator,right latest DC BGM stator.

how have you measured the height?
Eden

Postby Dimitrios_231 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:34 pm

I used vernier and measured bottom of the plate to the top of the pickup,the difference was minimal,less than .1mm

Dimitrios_231

Postby Eden » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:09 am

So they are not all lower then :?
Eden

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3