LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Stupit Rim Question

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Stupit Rim Question

Postby Granty » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:10 pm

This might be absolutely stupid but can you fit a standard split rim onto a hub that's been fitted with SIP studs for SIP Tubelss Rims? Just working out if I need to carry a SIP Rim / Tyre as a spare on the s2> - Cheers G
Granty

Re: Stupit Rim Question

Postby terryj » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:36 pm

i am using old sterling tubeless as a spare and taking a set of rim nuts (not the domed ones)as the sip studs are longer and so domed would bottom out befor tightening as would the sip nuts i suspect
Last edited by terryj on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terryj

Postby Granty » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:41 pm

terryj wrote:i am using old sterling tubeless as a spare and taking a set of rim nuts (not the domed ones)as the sip studs are longer and so domed would bottom out for tightening as would the sip nuts i suspect

Good thinking Terry -- I'm assuming they are also the same size of nut? 10mm or 8mm? - Cheers G
Granty

Postby joe swoonara » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:04 am

just put Goop or Tyreseal in your tyres , no need to carry a spare :D and if your still unsure i bought a tyre repair kit from MB which would fit in your pocket contains 2 little gas cylinders that will inflate your tyre
joe swoonara

Postby Digger » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:49 am

joe swoonara wrote:just put Goop or Tyreseal in your tyres , no need to carry a spare :D and if your still unsure i bought a tyre repair kit from MB which would fit in your pocket contains 2 little gas cylinders that will inflate your tyre

I bought one of those for my Guzzi Griso.

Big problem trying to get the plug in the tyre with no air in it - in fact impossible!

Might be easier with a smaller tyre.....
Digger

Postby joe swoonara » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:25 pm

Goop may well be the answer then imho i had a worn out tyre with Goop in it , it says it will plug a hole upto 6mm on the bottle so i drilled a 7mm hole through the tread , and to my great surprise it it plugged it straight away with no loss of air :shock:
joe swoonara

Postby burnside » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:34 pm

Always advisable to put punctureseal/gunk/slime, etc. into both tubed or tubeless anyway, I have in all of mine. I do carry a spare slit rim on the scooter that I've got SIP tubeless on and keep a standard set of rim nuts in the toolbox.
burnside

Postby Angry Bloke » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:35 pm

Granty wrote:This might be absolutely stupid but can you fit a standard split rim onto a hub that's been fitted with SIP studs for SIP Tubelss Rims? Just working out if I need to carry a SIP Rim / Tyre as a spare on the s2> - Cheers G

Yes you can but as Burnside states you will need a standard set of nuts as the SIP ones would bottom out giving the feel that they are tight when they are not
Angry Bloke

Postby xenia1 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:23 pm

burnside wrote:Always advisable to put punctureseal/gunk/slime, etc. into both tubed or tubeless anyway, I have in all of mine. I do carry a spare slit rim on the scooter that I've got SIP tubeless on and keep a standard set of rim nuts in the toolbox.

Good advice. I put Slime into all my hire cars, will seal everything bar a complete blowout. A little messy when changing tyres being the only downside..
xenia1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3