LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Flywheel noise

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Flywheel noise

Postby Alex_amd2001 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:39 pm

Hi Everybody,

Two questions. I'm 95% finished my first resto project, standard Li150. Having updated to a 12v electronic ignition, the sound from the flywheel seems very rattly. The crank taper seems fine, but it almost feels as if the flywheel could do with be slightly further down on it (although the nut is as tight as possible). Is this just normal? or any thoughts?

Secondly, being new to Lambrettas, can anybody recommend a Lambretta friendly garage or person in the Exeter/Devon region who can help with the final set-up?

Many thanks, Alex.
Alex_amd2001

Re: Flywheel noise

Postby grandpa » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi Alex,
I was expecting an adult to answer your questions as I have only experience on GP. I am assuming you have the correct flywheel as the GP flywheel is not compatible with Li. Have you tried fitting flywheel without the woodruff key to see if it fits better?...Come on chaps help him out ;)
Grandpa
grandpa

Postby Scooterslag » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:23 pm

could the flywheel be catching on the cowl, I'm guessing its a SIL flywheel? aren't they supposed to sit a bit taller than a Italian flywheel hence SIL GP flywheel cowls are a bit wider? I'm in Devon as well but as far as I'm aware there is no decent lambretta friendly garage in the area. Nearest one would be South West Scooters in Yeovil. Paul
Scooterslag

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:23 pm

I had a similar noise and it turned out to be a loose magnet on the flywheel. Not too obvious to see but securing screw did tighten up and stopped the rattle
Paulnobodyimportant

Postby Toddy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:15 am

Is it a rattly sound or a whurring sound ? is there play in the Flywheel up and down if you hold it ? does it do it With or without the cowling on ?
Sorry for all the questions :lol: :lol: :lol:
Toddy

Postby Alex_amd2001 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:39 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your answers. It's definitely a rattly noise rather than whirring and happens with cowling off too. There's no up and down play with the flywheel. I'll check the magnets and try fitting without the woodruff key to see if that makes any difference. Cheers.
Alex_amd2001

Postby Knowledge » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:30 pm

When Grandpa say "fit without the woodruff key", he means as a temporary measure to check that everything seats nicely. Don't start the scooter without the woodruff key fitted.
Knowledge

Postby missing lynx » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:17 pm

this may sound a strange thing to surgest try emptying your tool box it suprising how may unexplaned noises are down to something ratling in there
missing lynx

Postby Jono » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi mate
I had a rattling noise from one of my Spanish Li's , after many hrs of pushing and pulling found flywheel was loose on center boss . Put in gear and try rotating fly wheel backwards and forwards to see if center boss is slightly loose. I was surprised how much noise a slight movement made.
Jono
Jono

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3