LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

New member with electrical problems

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

New member with electrical problems

Postby Kristof Lammy pie » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:31 pm

So today was the first chance I've had to have a good look at it and see what's needed.

I quickly checked the fuel, plug and and filter and tried to start it up.

I'm guessing from cold the way is: Petrol on. Full choke no throttle and it should fire.

Well it didn't, it wasnt until the third kick that I remembered the dodgy set of keys given to me.

There seems to be 3 clicks to the ignition, I turned it 3 clicks kicked it over and it fired first time! I left it idle on the choke for a minute and then turned it off. It idled well and revved pretty cleanly with a little white spoke and lovely fumes of the two stroke.
While it was running I grabbed my hat and thought I would quickly take it up the road for my first ever ride on a Lambretta.

It jolted into first gear and off i went, after spinning my left hand like a man possessed I managed to get it into all of the gears before I ran out of road.

On the way back down the road I thought I would try the brakes. Haha brakes he says. All I got was a massive knocking sound from the headset and a progressive slowing that really cant be called braking.

But all in all pretty pleased still.

So the first set on numpty question's for you all.

The 3 stages of the ignition is that normal or just a worn out ignition?

The lights work, but are only off or on! Should it have a dipped beam? Or are the lights that bad dip would be dangerous?
Kristof Lammy pie

Re: New member with his first Lambretta

Postby nickw » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

If it is a battery model the first point on the ignition switch is for parking lights, next position is off 3rd is engine only and 4th is lights and engine. If it has had an electronic ignition fitted then it will be much the same but usually without parking lights. I may be corrected :lol: The high/low beam should be controlled by the switch on the right hand side. The other button on that side should operate the horn. Nice looking scooter. Doesn't seem to be many problems with it yet, Good luck
nickw

Postby Kristof Lammy pie » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:42 pm

No there's no battery,just running standard 6 volt.

Theres only 3 ignition stages, the horn doesn't work and the lights are only on or off by the right hand switch.
Kristof Lammy pie

Postby Rich Oswald » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:44 pm

nickw wrote:If it is a battery model the first point on the ignition switch is for parking lights, next position is off 3rd is engine only and 4th is lights and engine. If it has had an electronic ignition fitted then it will be much the same but usually without parking lights. I may be corrected :lol: The high/low beam should be controlled by the switch on the right hand side. The other button on that side should operate the horn. Nice looking scooter. Doesn't seem to be many problems with it yet, Good luck

This is possibly the case on some but in my experience of battery models: key vertical is off, one click left is parking lights, one click right is ignition on, two clicks right is side lights and three clicks right is headlights.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Kristof Lammy pie » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:49 pm

So I take it all these positions are redundant if your not running a battery.?
Kristof Lammy pie

Postby Captain Pugwash » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:19 pm

Kristof Lammy pie wrote:So I take it all these positions are redundant if your not running a battery.?

Turned the key straight up= Ignition Off .

Turned to the right one click= Ignition On.

Turned to the right two clicks= Ignition and side lights on.

Turned all the way to the right three clicks= Ignition on and headlight on. The dip and dazzle are controlled by the handlebar two position switch. Top of switch pushed in should be headlight dazzle, Bottom of switch pushed in should be headlight dipped.

The same if it's DC or AC only difference is a DC has another switch position and powers parking lights if the ignition switch is turned to the left one click back from the off position.

A standard 6 volt DC system powers side lights horn and brake light from the battery but uses pretty much the same wires and switch positions to do the same as an AC system
Captain Pugwash

Postby Kristof Lammy pie » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:38 pm

Brilliant thanks.

So I only have lights at position 3 when the engine is running. The switch on the right only turns the lights off and the horn doesn't work at all.

So electrical jobs ahead. :'(
Kristof Lammy pie

Postby Rich Oswald » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:21 pm

Kristof Lammy pie wrote:Brilliant thanks.

So I only have lights at position 3 when the engine is running. The switch on the right only turns the lights off and the horn doesn't work at all.

Th switch on the right is the toggle switch for Low and High beam so if that switch is turning your lights off then I suggest that one filament in your dual filament headlamp bulb has blown.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Kristof Lammy pie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:28 am

Rich Oswald wrote:
Kristof Lammy pie wrote:Brilliant thanks.

Th switch on the right is the toggle switch for Low and High beam so if that switch is turning your lights off then I suggest that one filament in your dual filament headlamp bulb has blown.

Rich'

I thought this too, but the bulb appears fine, I've ordered a new one in case I just can't see Iif one element has blown.
Kristof Lammy pie

Postby Kristof Lammy pie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:36 am

I've managed to tighten the steering play, by removing the headset greasing and tightening it up slightly. It seems to have cured it.

I've now moved on to the brakes and tyres, both tyres need replacing so I've taken the back wheel off and whilst I wait for the tyres to be delivered I've checked the rear brake shoes which seem fine, plenty of meat left on them, so a quick clean up and put them back on.

A closer look at the electrical side and I've noticed it's actually running 12 volt ac system. To be honest I'm slightly embarrassed as it was never mentioned to me when I bought it and I just assumed it was running points 6v.

So the replacement 6v bulb and 6v horn will have to go back that I've ordered from Beedspeed.

Still learning! :-D
Kristof Lammy pie

Postby 911hillclimber » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:15 pm

Ahhh...Lambretta electrics...endless hours of fun.

My TV3 is bog standard 6V with Battery and points.

Took ages to sort it all out, esp the horn which needed a new one.

I have a 3 position replacement ign switch, upright is All Off but horn works, 1 click clockwise, engine will run, no lights, horn works, 2 click from off and I have it all but only side light and tail and horn, last click and I have the lot with dip on the right handle vertical rocker switch.
The lights are CONSIDERABLY brighter the more revs it has. I was almost "Blinded-by-the-Light" checking the dim brake light with no cover on with tick-over, got zapped when I revved it. :(
911hillclimber

Postby Kristof Lammy pie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:42 pm

Cheers.

Yeah I can do most things mechanically but electrics to me is black art.

Oh and ignition timing.
Kristof Lammy pie

Re: New member with electrical problems

Postby Kristof Lammy pie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:50 pm

Right so I've had a play around today and got the dip switch working but the lights are always on from 1st click to third click of the ignition.

Has anyone got any pics of what wires go where please?

Horn still not working either.

I seem to have 3 redundant wires from the ignition switch.

No wire going to the speedo bulb.
A taped off wire from the glass lense and two earth's.
Kristof Lammy pie

Postby HxPaul » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:23 pm

Buy sticky's manual "The complete spanner's manual" All the wiring diagrams are in there.
HxPaul

Postby coaster » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:38 pm

Personally I wouldn't be too bothered about not being able to turn the headlight off, always a good idea to ride with the lights on day or night ;)
coaster

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:53 pm

Speedo lamp needs an earth from the bulb holder. You may have to solder one on and run to earth. Live wire from bulb holder will terminate with the black wires.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3