LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

stand length advice please

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

stand length advice please

Postby Andie » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:09 pm

Hello - i found a thread previously about stands but it didn't really cover my question.

I bought a stainless stand - i wanted an MB one but they've sold out. Its solid and straight but 290mm on the vertical, which is 10mm longer than my busted original with feet on - (original has steel plates welded onto the brackets, which merely make contact with the corners of the plates, and those brackets point at 45 degrees; i tried but could not straighten it)

no pins holes either :(

I can drill out the holes as I have access to a pillar drill. I don't want alloy feet...

Could anyone recommend the correct vertical height for a centre stand please?

Vendor has said he will refund, but after paying the original postage to me and then sending it back again I'm tempted to fettle it.

annoying as it's such a small part, but I can't put the forks or engine back in until I've sorted the stand!

Thanks - Andrew
Andie

Re: stand length advice please

Postby rossclark » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:06 am

Some of the stainless ones are very hard, you might be lucky to be able to drill it at all.
rossclark

Postby JETEX » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:55 pm

I've got a stainless stand with no pin holes in it. I ordered some drill bits off the Internet to drill it for the stand feet ( which I haven't done yet ). They're either cobalt or titanium - I can't remember !. The only alternative is to glue the stand feet on.
JETEX

Postby Andie » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:52 pm

JETEX wrote:I've got a stainless stand with no pin holes in it. I ordered some drill bits off the Internet to drill it for the stand feet ( which I haven't done yet ). They're either cobalt or titanium - I can't remember !. The only alternative is to glue the stand feet on.

Thank you for the replies. I'd be interested to hear how the drilling goes Jetex, as I am looking to do the same thing with some appropriate drill bits - 6mm i believe?
off to machine mart this afternoon.

also, will you be shortening the stand at all?

Andrew
Andie

Postby JETEX » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:42 am

Not sure yet on whether I'll shorten the stand. The rebuild is going painfully slowly as I don't get much time to work on it and I haven't got the front wheel on. When I get the wheel on I'll see what the distance is from the bottom of the wheel to the ground. If it's reasonable I'll leave it, but obviously if the scooter sits at 45 degrees I'll shorten it. I Googled ' drilling stainless steel ' and bought the drill bits recommended for the job. I'll let you know how it goes if you haven't already done yours before I do mine.
JETEX

Postby HxPaul » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:51 am

JETEX wrote:I've got a stainless stand with no pin holes in it. I ordered some drill bits off the Internet to drill it for the stand feet ( which I haven't done yet ). They're either cobalt or titanium - I can't remember !. The only alternative is to glue the stand feet on.

You only need to drill about 1/4" into the stand.Instead of roll pins use an M6 bolt.
HxPaul

Postby Andie » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:13 pm

I now have some coblat bits - 4mm for pilot and 6mm.
Will put some time in on the pillar drill, at a slow speed with plenty of drilling milk, tomorow and see how it goes.

Thanks for the M6 tip

Andrew
Andie

Postby Rich Oswald » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:30 pm

Andie,

If it was me I would definitely shorten the stand a bit as one of my pet hates is seeing a Lambretta on its stand with the front wheel up in the air,

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby shane BBoys » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:01 pm

Guys.
Mine sits high but could not cut it, also no pin holes couldn't drill it either hard as f###.
I stuck my rubber feet on and used some nice n mighty, only coverd 30 miles but are still on.
Fingers crossed.
Cheers Shane
shane BBoys

Postby JETEX » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:45 am

My other scoot has holes in the stand, but rather than use roll pins to secure the feet, I screwed 5mm bolts into the rubber feet and through the holes. Been on for a few years now with no problems.
JETEX

Postby Andie » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:11 pm

I cut the stands to length with a chop saw (one we use for scaffold). no problem.
centre - punched then onto the pillar drill and a 4mm then 6mm with plenty of cutting compound, Heller bits that cost cost a few pounds each from Machine Mart, i went all the way throuigh and then filed off the burrs Etc.

Mb bolts cut to size.

No problem, probably took an hour. The only issue when fitting was the spring holding bracket was too big, so i had to stretch the hook of the spring somewhat.

Andrew
Andie

Postby JETEX » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:03 pm

Well done Andie, gives me hope for when I do mine. I'll let you know how it goes.
JETEX

Postby JETEX » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:23 pm

Well I tried to drill mine, but it's made out of super solid rock hard stainless steel. The special drill bits that I bought wouldn't even look at it. The stand is making the scooter point skywards ( great for changing wheels though ! ). I can't cut it down because there wouldn't be enough vertical length at the bottom of the stand to get the feet on. I've glued the feet on for now, but it looks like I'll have to change the stand when I can find a suitable replacement.
JETEX

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3