LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Throttle return spring?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Throttle return spring?

Postby 507VBH » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:00 pm

Hi,

I have not messed around with Lambretta engines since 1978 and I cannot remember whether the throttle has a return spring. Is the throttle supposed to snap shut when the throttle grip is released? Modern bikes do but I recall some old stuff doesn't.

Cheers
507VBH

Re: Throttle return spring?

Postby lammydave » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:21 pm

the only return spring is inside the carb... except on some Spanish models which had one on the control rod in the headset
there are mixed opinions as the whether they should snap shut or not...
lammydave

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:26 pm

Ha!

All throttle controlled machinery should 'fail safe' by snapping shut. I used to think my first Lambretta had cruise control.....

It can be done achieved by careful routing of the cable to ensure no clamping, plenty of lube if necessary (some prefer dry) a stronger spring in the carb &, if all else fails, adopt the Serveta 'cheat' & install a torsion spring on the throttle arm. That's what I do. Especially when gear change pullies are adapted to give Q/A throttles.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:50 pm

If you have indicators, like late model Servetas, that's fine. If you are on the race track as a safety device, yes.

If you have to signal right using your hand, no. That's why they are designed to have a degree of interference

Discuss LOL
Storkfoot

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:53 pm

Storkfoot is correct in saying that there is some use to a sticking throttle whilst turning right.

However, when on track or road, if you 'lose it', as I have many times, it’s a much better option to have a self closing throttle.

Here's another curved ball, though. How come those four strokes, as we all know, give phenomenal engine braking, yet MotoGP stars manage to roll off the throttle on the wind-down lap & just keep rolling whilst standing on the pegs?
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Marty ULC » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:14 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:...How come those four strokes, as we all know, give phenomenal engine braking, yet MotoGP stars manage to roll off the throttle on the wind-down lap & just keep rolling whilst standing on the pegs?

Because they are gods.
Marty ULC

Postby Knowledge » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:41 pm

Like, Marty
Knowledge

Postby 507VBH » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:10 am

I guess it comes down to what the UK MoT requirements are!
507VBH

Postby HxPaul » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:18 am

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:Storkfoot is correct in saying that there is some use to a sticking throttle whilst turning right.

However, when on track or road, if you 'lose it', as I have many times, it’s a much better option to have a self closing throttle.

Here's another curved ball, though. How come those four strokes, as we all know, give phenomenal engine braking, yet MotoGP stars manage to roll off the throttle on the wind-down lap & just keep rolling whilst standing on the pegs?

Theres a lot of difference between a throttle that you have to twist to shut off and a "sticking" throttle.And I would like to know why,if you lose it, its much better to have a self closing throttle.
HxPaul

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:25 pm

I would like to know why,if you lose it, its much better to have a self closing throttle.

If you lose it, inevitably on a bend, if the power remains on, rather than shutting off, you have very little chance of retaining control. Just trying to regain control, particuarly on a right hander with the tendency to open the throttle even more is something I would imagine most of us seasoned riders have endured, especially on a greasy roundabout.

Then there is the safety of others to consider. A bike careering down the road or track, having righted itself as they often do, is a liability that I would not wish to be responsible for, having witnessed it.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:36 pm

507VBH wrote:I guess it comes down to what the UK MoT requirements are!

You shouldn't fail an MOT for this. The interference nature of the throttle is specifically referred to in old Lambretta manuals.
Storkfoot

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:01 pm

I doubt that all MOT testers would assess the self closing of the throttle & it is not specifically referred to in the MOT manual issued by HM Government.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/447285/mot-inspection-manual-classes-1-2.pdf

The document majors on more important things like number plate size & exhausts….

I think we should all conclude that this all comes down to personal preference.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:08 pm

I do agree. I have seen both sides, an off with a racing throttle, but also a route home from work where I have to signal right to get into the right hand lane of a busy and fast dual carriageway. That can be scary with a closing throttle. Trust me :o :D
Storkfoot

Postby grandpa » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:24 pm

Storkfoot wrote:I do agree. I have seen both sides, an off with a racing throttle, but also a route home from work where I have to signal right to get into the right hand lane of a busy and fast dual carriageway. That can be scary with a closing throttle. Trust me :o :D

It is why I have indicators.
Grandpa
grandpa

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3