LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Tube or tubeless

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Tube or tubeless

Postby panda » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:20 pm

Hello folks was looking for a bit of advise in the old wheel department.l have never had tubeless always tubes and was reading about af rims and it was saying that you have to remove a bit from the hub because of the hole for the valve ;)
panda

Re: Tube or tubeless

Postby steve t » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:08 pm

I have af rims on my series 3 didn't have to remove owt from rear hub Imo they are decent fit
steve t

Postby panda » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:28 pm

Ok thanks :D
panda

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:42 pm

I think you may find that the latest batch could be problematic to some and yes you may have to remove some of one fin on the rear hub only,I certainly did.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:45 am

I have af rims on my series 3 didn't have to remove owt from rear hub Imo they are decent fit

There used to be an 'issue' with AF tubeless rims not being centralised via the hub (front or back) as per the original Innocenti design.

Has that changed since the first release of the AF rims?
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:17 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:

There used to be an 'issue' with AF tubeless rims not being centralised via the hub (front or back) as per the original Innocenti design.

Has that changed since the first release of the AF rims?

I already had a pair which were fine and last year purchased another for the rear (moved the good one to spare). Couldn't get an airline on because of the angle of the valve. Phoned Ben and he said that the latest batch (quite a big batch too), the manufacturer had mistakenly used the original (one with issues) spec' instead of the revised one. This is no secret and I am definitely not criticising AF's for this and they did offer me a refund but I was happy to remove some fin on this occasion.

Just re read your post and realize you were talking about a different issue Walkton, sorry.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby Nelly » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:33 pm

I did exactly the same as Rich, had an older AF tubeless rim on the back and decided to buy another for the spare, the new one is from the latest batch. The only way I found to get an airline on (without butchering the hub) was to loosen the rim from the hub. Not ideal really. It's not too bad whilst in my garage but I can see it would be a right f**k on whilst out n about.
Nelly

Postby phil23fair » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:30 pm

I had problems getting an airline on my AF & Sip tubeless rim valves and have got over it by buying a valve extender. You obviously only use it when pumping up your tyres :D
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MOTORCYCL ... 1292032043
phil23fair

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:53 pm

phil23fair wrote:I had problems getting an airline on my AF & Sip tubeless rim valves and have got over it by buying a valve extender. You obviously only use it when pumping up your tyres :D

Don't think a valve extender would work on the AF's because of the angle the valve sits at,

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby Nelly » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:32 pm

I tried something similar to that but it would not fit.
Nelly

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:13 pm

We've used the SIP rims for racing since 2012. Valve extenders make inflation easier but the old bicycle pump type (flexible rubber tubing) can be made to work. You need to over-inflate then that allows for some loss when unscrewing.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby jonoy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:40 am

Don't buy the Af rim not worth the grief
As had been said cant get a valve extender on
You have to loosen wheel from hub to get air in
jonoy

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:43 am

Rich Oswald wrote:
phil23fair wrote:I had problems getting an airline on my AF & Sip tubeless rim valves and have got over it by buying a valve extender. You obviously only use it when pumping up your tyres :D

Don't think a valve extender would work on the AF's because of the angle the valve sits at,

Rich'

I might add that this problem is only on the standard width rim on the rear, the wide one is perfectly fine on the rear and this is what AF are now recommending.Standard width on the front is fine also.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby Dave67 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:59 pm

I've been using Sip tubeless rims and have had no problems.
In case of getting a puncture i carry a set of tyre plugs and small air cartridges. Easier than messing around with inner tubes and much safer if you are unfortunate enough to suffer a puncture at speed
Dave67

Postby shane BBoys » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:57 pm

I do the same as Dave and carry valve extenders.
Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby phil23fair » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:59 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:

Rich'

It works on mine
phil23fair

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3