LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

GP won't start

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

GP won't start

Postby SILGP » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi, can anybody help ? I had a dodgy thread on one of my exhaust studs so a mate had the head & barrel off for that to be sorted. Since it's been put back together i'm having trouble starting it. My mechanic skills are very basic but I have checked for a spark & fuel & compression is good. My choke appears to be operating as it should and nothing has been touched on the carb which was all set up on the dyno at chiselspeed. Before the head & barrel came off it would start first or second kick. I don't touch the throttle when starting and have tried it with petrol on & off but no success. The only way it will start is by bumping it. Also my mate said the piston rings were fine.
It's a 225cc with a 30mm dell'orto carb & a sterling exhaust.
Any suggestions ?

thanks in advance.

Tony.
SILGP

Re: GP won't start

Postby MickYork » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:26 pm

Possible air leak.....worth doing a leak test......do a search plenty, on informative threads on leak testing.
MickYork

Postby Rich Oswald » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:55 pm

Did you take the piston off and if so has it gone back on the right way round?

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby SILGP » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:56 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Rich , the piston was left in situ so it's not that.

cheers

Tony.
SILGP

Postby missing lynx » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:12 pm

were the head and base gasket replaced and is the exhaust gasket the right way round?
missing lynx

Postby Mike Davis » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:16 pm

MickYork wrote:Possible air leak.....worth doing a leak test......do a search plenty, on informative threads on leak testing.

Leak down test as Mick suggests for sure, also if you can check compression, saying its good of the kickstart isnt good enough, youll need a proper gauge, if its around the 120 psi or less mark, thats your problem, which could be a leak or rings, wants to be a good 140 psi plus to start well on Kickstart.
Mike Davis

Postby kennystag » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:08 pm

Sorry to jump in but 90 PSI would be a good enough to run a lammy engine.
Stag
kennystag

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:04 pm

Mine is 105 psi hot and cold and starts and runs sweet.
(Touch wood!)
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby kennystag » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:21 pm

Yes Chris,
My GP starts first or second kit, runs really well, at 90 PSI cold, 90 PSI is a not a bad deal on a lammy, or any small engine for that mater. It should start at that PSI .
Cheers
Stag
kennystag

Postby SILGP » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:20 pm

Thanks again for the replies. I'm gonna borrow a gauge to test the compression next week. I'll let you know the outcome.
cheers !
SILGP

Postby SILGP » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:11 pm

Hi again , just done a compression test and the results averaged around 130 psi so from what has been posted earlier that is acceptable. It still wouldn't start though but then I remembered something about covering the carb when kicking it up. I tried this and it started for a few seconds & then died. Does this mean a blocked jet or something more serious such as an air leak as suggested earlier in the thread ?

Cheers.

Tony
SILGP

Postby MickYork » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:20 pm

ok. Now you need to post your carb jettings (pilot, slide, needle, main, etc) settings, also your stator/timing settings (did you strobe these?)
MickYork

Postby kennystag » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:04 am

Hi SILLGP,
Take the carb off and clean it out the jets with jet cleaner and compressed air. When you are in there check the inlet manifold nuts are tight, and there is no other air leaks around the induction side. Just make sure your choke is working properly when you build her back up.
Good luck
Cheers
Stag
:)
kennystag

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:32 am

I recently re-built an engine and it would not start, even with bumping off. I had spark but spark plug was fairly dry. Checked fuel flow to carb, which was OK. Therefore suspected an old Jetex carb that I had put on. On stripping, I noticed that the choke jet looked like it may be slightly gunged up. To err on the cautious side, I put in a new choke jet and it started after a few kicks and has consistently kicked over since.
I note that you have had your carb set up, but some dirt may have blocked your jets during the re-build, so as others have said, give it a good clean out, because its these little things that get us stumped.
Paulnobodyimportant

Postby SILGP » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:24 pm

Thanks again for the replies. I am gonna clean the carb out this week and see how we go from there. Keeping it as simple as possible as long as I can !

Cheers.

Tony.
SILGP

Postby SILGP » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:52 am

Well , I wheeled the scoot out of the garage yesterday to clean the jets & thought i'd give it a kick to see what happens - it starts first time & ticks over nicely. Decided to check the jets anyway & they were all fine. Kicked it up again and it ran fine again. left it a few hours and it started on the 4th kick.
Don't know what's happened but i'l continue to start it every day & see how we go on.
Lambrettas eh !!! :roll:
SILGP

Postby kennystag » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:58 am

Good new then. Yes it is amazing what a kick will do, I thought abbot trying that with the wife, but she would kick me back lol.
Cheers
Stag
;)
kennystag

Postby SILGP » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:44 am

Ha , nice one Stag. Re-reading it , it does make it look like i was doing a Basil Fawlty ! :D
SILGP

Postby kennystag » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:49 pm

Hi SILGP,
Is she running ok now.
Stag
kennystag

Postby SILGP » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:34 am

Hi Stag , sorry for the late reply , been busy decorating. Not had a run out yet but have successfully kicked it up everyday - Hoping to get out for a spin at the weekend.

Thanks for your (and everybody else's) help.

Tony.
SILGP

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3