LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

front inner mudguard advice

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

front inner mudguard advice

Postby Andie » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:11 pm

My S3 (italian '63) has S3 forks that have the horizontal hole for an inner mudguard. I'm tempted to fit one, as I can, and anything that keeps mess down to a minimum is good for me.
My question is would an inner mudguard have the turning space under a S3 mudguard proper?

Also, why does it have the hole in the first place? the rest of the forks machining is S3 (stops, length Etc), however the front hub is S2, original, so it's a bit of a factory bitsa/stock crossover.

thanks -Andrew
Andie

Re: front inner mudguard advice

Postby Knowledge » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:43 pm

I would be surprised if the SII inner mudguard would fit, but I've never heard of anybody try, so it might do.

My 1966 TV200 had a hole in the forks. I suspect that the reason may have been as simple as "no one told the guy who made the forks to stop drilling the holes"

I saw a couple for sale at Wicksteed at £45 each. I wonder if this might help make up your mind.
Knowledge

Postby roli150lam » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:04 am

I don,t think the inner will stop any of the mess,on the contrary the road dirt will gather between inner and normal mudguard.It is very confined access between a S3 mudguard and forks,to add an inner mudguard will imo make cleaning more difficult.
roli150lam

Postby Andie » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:34 pm

Thank you both, i think I'll let it be.

Knowledge: I suspect that the reason may have been as simple as "no one told the guy who made the forks to stop drilling the holes"

That is quite the perfect explanation :)

Andrew
Andie

Postby Tractorman » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:05 pm

I was common in the 'old days' to take your front mudguard off, particularly if was one of those monstrous series 1/2 ones, and fit an ally one. How misguided we were.
Tractorman

Postby peejay » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:43 am

hi Andie
here's my fix for the problem

1mm thick rubber held on top and bottom mudguard fixings with penny washer and additional nut

no more rusty down tube and keeps brake pedal clean as well

this pattern is for all S3 & GP but easily adapted for S1 & S2 :)
peejay

Postby roli150lam » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:47 am

Tractorman wrote:I was common in the 'old days' to take your front mudguard off, particularly if was one of those monstrous series 1/2 ones, and fit an ally one. How misguided we were.
How right we were David,I still think they are monstrous!
roli150lam

Postby Andie » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:15 pm

peejay wrote:hi Andie
here's my fix for the problem

1mm thick rubber held on top and bottom mudguard fixings with penny washer and additional nut

no more rusty down tube and keeps brake pedal clean as well

this pattern is for all S3 & GP but easily adapted for S1 & S2 :)

That is very smart, thanks!
Andie

Postby peejay » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:26 pm

hi Andie
my measurements allow for a bit of slack over extra long cables. if you are running a reverse pull front disc brake you can just re-route the cable as it leaves the horn cover in front of the rubber, simples :)

the top and bottom mudguard fixings should be already long enough to do this and don't need disturbing.
i've fitted a mudwing washer against the existing nut then rubber then another washer, for belt and braces job you could add a spring washer on top before the final nut goes on.
peejay

Postby lambrettatastic » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:08 am

I fitted a s2 inner mudguard to my tv200 v fits fine...I have reverse pull brake so you have to be careful with the cable if routed the normal way...
lambrettatastic

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3