LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

fork link & rust

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

fork link & rust

Postby Rhinomerc » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:03 am

Hi All

I am in the painful thorough part cleaning of my TV3 Restoration.

Now planning to chrome or zinc the rusted ones, I have a question on fork link.

Although mine are dirtyn they don't seem to show rust. However I am wondering whether I should plan some special anti rust treatment or no. The iron (or whatever metal it is) seems solid and not prone to rust.

what is your experience?

Kind regards

Renaud
Rhinomerc

Re: fork link & rust

Postby rossclark » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:16 pm

I think they're originally plated. More a hard chrome than a show chrome. They're usually not that prone to rust.
rossclark

Postby Rhinomerc » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:29 pm

yeah that what it looks like. Definitely not a show chrome, there aren't even polished. But who really cares, they are not really visible.

Well, I will have them rechromed cheap if they show rust after cleaning then.
Rhinomerc

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:48 pm

You ask for experiences with fork links. Here is mine:

Thoroughly degrease then follow with a wire cup brush in an electric drill (or the sort that fits a pillar drill or grinder). In no time, they will be gleaming as new. You can afford to be fairly brutal as the plating is very robust (as it has to be on forged steel).

The one & only time I deviated from doing so was to have a pair nickel plated via a chap I once knew that ran/runs a scooter business.

They have really tarnished. In fact, they are patchy with black areas that will result in the forks being stripped some time to suit.

Yet another “If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it” tale…..
Warkton Tornado No.1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3