LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Indicators

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Indicators

Postby peejay » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:23 am

thanks for the info Monty :)
peejay

Postby MK Monty » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:31 am

http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_150.htm
This may help but an adult will be along shortly
MK Monty

Postby Knowledge » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:31 pm

Hmm. Well, reading that, it seems there is no minimum size for indicator lenses, unless the size is dictated by the construction regulations, rather than enforced in the MoT.

I think I had heard that somewhere, and I have certainly witnessed some ludicrously small indicators fitted to motorsickles which seemed to beg the question "why?". If you're gonna have indicators, at least make them visible.
Knowledge

Postby Norfolk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:40 pm

Really appreciate the interest in my enquiry, is it possible to obtain a copy of the article in Jetset 188, as I have just rejoined the club and do not have a copy.
Norfolk

Postby Knowledge » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:43 pm

I have the draft article here, so I will pm it to you. Martin
Knowledge

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:45 pm

The Forum showing its true colours. Great thread with a lot of info.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Norfolk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi Knowledge, really appreciate your help, thanks.
Norfolk

Postby byron » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:21 pm

eddie15b wrote:Image
sexy shaped indicators

eddie15b wrote:... so that the spare connector could be run up to a led light in the speedo (LHS one) that way
youve got your idiot light covered for your mot test
or connect both left & right outputs from the switch to a warning lamp, using diodes to avoid current tracking to both sides. My diagram above is before that mod. I still forget to turn my indicators off...
byron

Postby coaster » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:38 pm

byron wrote:................ or connect both left & right outputs from the switch to a warning lamp, using diodes to avoid current tracking to both sides.

That's what I did when I reinstated the indicators on my Jet, that way you can use any cheep flasher unit without the repeater facility. I have a 12v buzzer from Maplin in mine to running through a little switch so I can turn it off when it starts to annoy me. Talking of buzzers, the one Mark has on his S1 can be clearly heard riding behind him in traffic :o

Eddie 15b, love those indicators so much I just ordered some 8-) but what are the blue spacers at the mounting end?

Colin
coaster

Postby coaster » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:08 pm

For those with original indicator fitments wanting to use LEDS but concerned about the limited light output of the festoon LED replacements, I cobbled these together using parts from China

They are glued with plastic metal and the fuse wire was just there for test purposes before I soldered them. The light output is much improved over standard filament lamps.
coaster

Postby Knowledge » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:17 pm

byron wrote:.....or connect both left & right outputs from the switch to a warning lamp, using diodes to avoid current tracking to both sides.

Jarv,

I have heard people talk about diodes before, but a quick search shows they are many types of diode. Which type have you fitted (a hyperlink would be useful)? Whilst it might be easy to fit them, it is easy to mount them so that they survive the ride?

Martin
Knowledge

Postby byron » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:52 pm

Knowledge wrote:...diodes... Which type have you fitted (a hyperlink would be useful)? Whilst it might be easy to fit them, it is easy to mount them so that they survive the ride?
just a standard diode from somwwhere like Maplins. work out the max current based on the lamp draw, then get ones that can handle that... they're quite small, so I just soldered them into the wires in the headset, and heatshrinked the connections and the diodes in one. Been in my Serveta for 6000 miles without any issue
byron

Postby MK Monty » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:57 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-1N4007-100 ... 1e8a4cf6f0
Just an example soldered and heat shrink in line
MK Monty

Postby eddie15b » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:52 am

hiya Byron originally i done the same thing running two diodes to the idiot light in the speedo but seen as ive also
got a couple of relays shoe-horned into my headset as well things were getting busy and i was looking at how to cut
the spagetti mess thats inside my headset down so thats why i went with the 3 pin relay

hiya Coaster thats my "anti-vibration" mountings for my indicators....
basically its a bit of fuel line you know the one thats really thick about 15mm in dia?
well i cut about a 15mm long piece of it and then offered it up to the headset to see
what angle to cut it in half at (about 75 degrees?) so that once you cut it and put a
piece either side of the heaset the indicators sit level or thereabouts

what ill do is ill post later on a few more pictures of my set up and a wiring diagram or 2 so
everybody can get a better idea of whats involved
eddie15b

Postby coaster » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:24 am

Cheers Eddie, I can understand what you mean but pics would be most welcome. I know what you mean about messy headset wiring, mine looks like a badly made Rook's nest :oops:
coaster

Postby peejay » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:14 pm

hi peeps
i've had several false starts at having a go at this over the last couple of years :roll:
i'm particularly interested in the switchery department at the handlebar/headset side of things.
any pics and links to neccessary items would really help to spur me on :)
peejay

Postby terryj » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:47 pm

see link in my earlier post in this thread for a ready made switch from beedspeed
terryj

Postby Angry Bloke » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:54 pm

peejay wrote:hi peeps
i've had several false starts at having a go at this over the last couple of years :roll:
i'm particularly interested in the switchery department at the handlebar/headset side of things.
any pics and links to neccessary items would really help to spur me on :)

I used a C90 handle bar switch turn 90deg and welded to the mount

Angry Bloke

Postby Knowledge » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:11 pm

A ready made switch solution from Beedspeed seems an attractive proposition, but my options were limited by the location of my hydraulic brake master cylinder.

There are a number of switch gear options on eBay, from £8 to £30, but most were only suitable for mounting on the LHS of a traditional motorcycle handlebar. This actually leaves very few options.

I was chatting to Trevor at CamLam recently, and he said there was a market for a decent off-the-shelf indicator kit, but I see the problem is that the choices of all components are so varied. What style of light? Where to mount them? What switch-gear? AC? DC? How to integrate the wiring into the existing wiring loom?

All of these things are easy to address if you are creative and inventive (like the people on this forum)' but to make a one-size-fits-all indicator package looks rather daunting.
Knowledge

Postby Knowledge » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:16 pm

Angry Bloke wrote:

Nice work Ian, or was it Mr Sadd? I used the same switch, but your installation is much neater.
Knowledge

PreviousNext

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3